Senior Transmission & Distribution (T&D) Engineer – Honolulu, HI
Leidos Engineering is seeking a Senior Transmission & Distribution Engineer who will support the planning and implementation of T&D projects with our Power Delivery Services division at our Honolulu HI office.
Our Power Delivery Services division provides engineering consulting services to publicly- and investor-owned electric utilities offering comprehensive planning and engineering of electric transmission and distribution, and substation projects nationwide.
Senior Transmission & Distribution (T&D) Engineer Responsibilities:
• Act as lead engineer on electric transmission, sub-transmission and distribution design projects for overhead and underground systems operating from 12kV through 138kV.
• Apply applicable industry codes and standards in the engineering and design of Electrical T&D systems, voltage conversion projects, underground conversion projects, new capacity projects and infrastructure replacement projects.
• Perform Engineering analyses, prepare material procurement and construction documents, and work with project planning, environmental, permitting, and construction management.
• Manage and/or execute various sized transmission, sub-transmission and distribution projects located in the State of Hawaii
• Supervise engineers and designers responsible for preparation of construction packages
• Mentor engineers and designers for technical and career development
• Encourage an inclusive and collaborative work environment
• Perform quality control of engineering work products and construction packages
• Support engineers and designers in the development of design solutions for complex and/or non-standard installations
• Work closely and collaboratively with client engineering and management in the prosecution of job responsibilities and project execution
• Be a trusted advisor to clients seeking input on various technical matters
• Support business development and sales responsibilities of Account Manager
General Scope of Assignments:
• Perform design of overhead and underground transmission, sub-transmission and distribution system improvements in accordance with industry best management practice, and client standards, procedures, and policies, including but not limited to replacements, relocations, maintenance, services, system upgrades and expansions.
• Conduct field inspections to review the physical condition of transmission, sub-transmission and distribution systems and make engineering recommendations for the replacement and/or enhancement of facilities.
• Work collaboratively with client engineering, operations and other departments to ensure work products and services meet expectations and commitments.
• Prepare project cost estimates considering design, materials and construction, as well as outside resources.
• Prepare project schedules.
• Prepare design progress submittals and construction drawings for issue to client crews and/or third party contractors.
• Support client crews and/or third party contractors during construction by promptly responding to RFI.
• Bachelor Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited program
• Minimum 12 years of prior relevant technical and supervisory experience, a Master’s degree with 10 years of experience will also be considered
• Previous consulting experience preferred
• Licensed as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Hawaii or reciprocity from another State
• Knowledge of and ability to apply industry codes and standards, including but not limited to NESC, GO6 and NEC
• Experience with T&D design tools, such as PLS-CADD and O-Calc
• Knowledge of overhead and underground T&D construction methods
• Familiarity with T&D system equipment
• Strong writing, verbal and listening communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record; travel required as needed for projects
• Ability to stand for long periods, walk (and hike) on uneven ground, climb ladders, work in confined spaces, and lift up to 50 pounds.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.