Mechanical/Ocean Engineer with prior experience in design, specification or operation of handling, maneuvering, and load management equipment in a shipboard maritime environment. This opportunity is focused on development of systems used in the deployment of oceanographic payloads and their supporting equipment. Applicant should possess a working knowledge of the specification, design and build processes used in oceanographic engineering projects. Good communication skills will be essential for the applicant’s coordination of the assigned tasks both within the internal project team, and external customer team members. The applicants demonstrated past performance will include working as a member of a collaborative development team operating within an Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment.
The Mechanical/Ocean Engineer position offers the applicant the opportunity to:
- Integrate design and process improvements to existing systems
- Develop cost, schedule status and design solutions to program team leadership and external customer IPT members.
- Support departmental goals, staffing needs and, project planning
- Ability to support the offshore installation of maritime equipment, including but not limited to fixed infrastructure, autonomous and remotely operated vehicles, cables, buoys, etc.
- Support planning efforts for shipboard operations including installation of oceanographic payloads and supporting equipment.
- Provide support to on-site installation, failure diagnoses, and troubleshooting, of complex shipboard equipment and systems.
- Supports operational checkout and quality of system equipment.
- Provides input to operation and maintenance of the system
- Supports the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems.
- Prepares recommendations for design solutions, presentations and status reports
- Supports feasibility studies, engineering specifications, structural/thermal analysis, component selection and system/subsystem evaluation.
- Supports system level requirement allocation to subsystem and design elements, develops verification methodology and design validation/verification plans.
- Supports development of assigned functional component layouts and formal documentation through release and build.
- Supports development of new and updating of existing system design standards to meet specific current and future requirements.
- Up to 25% travel (Post-COVID Restrictions)
- Requires BS degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience. A combination of extensive work experience and or education may be considered in lieu of minimum requirements.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance.
- Familiar with SolidWorks 3D-CAD program & SolidWorks Enterprise PDM. Good technical writing skills with strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.