This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Biology Scientist to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused in synthetic and systems biology. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for you, someone with strong laboratory skills in molecular biology, microbiology, and/or marine biology.
Fun stuff you will be doing on the job:
- Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of molecular biology and/or marine biology.
- Contribute to the development of DNA-based assays for novel applications
- Contribute in culturing and analyzing aquatic organisms.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, and customer presentations.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
This is you:
- A bachelor’s degree in Biology or related discipline with at least 2 years of technical experience or a Master’s degree with at least 1 year of relevant experience (technical experience obtained through schooling can be counted towards total years of experience) or 4 years of experience in lieu of degree
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Experience in isolation and culturing of model and/or non-model microbial strains
- Nucleic acid extraction and purification
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Genomics, Metagenomics experience
- Experience with sample preparation methods for NGS
- Experience in culturing cell lines and bacterial strains
- Cloning, mutagenesis, cell transformation/transfection
- Protein expression, purification and characterization
- Enzymatic assay development
- Familiarity with microscopy techniques
- Possess US government Security Clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.