The Defense Group at Leidos has an opening for a Junior Electrical / RF Engineer with an interest in radar engineering design, development, manufacturing and support to work in our Ridgecrest, CA office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your engineering skills to support the Navy's Aircrew Electronic Warfare Tactical Training Ranges (AEWTTR) mission in China Lake, California. In this mission, we provide engineering support for design, modification, and maintenance of ground radar and associated devices for the Navy's aircrew Electronic Warfare (EW) training capability. Our organization designs, manufactures, integrates, and provides depot level support for a wide variety of EW threat simulation systems that are part of the U.S. Navy training infrastructure that ensures our Navy aircrews are the most effective in the world.
This position will require approximately 15% travel with estimated travel is between one and two weeks at a time approximately 5 times a year to geographically disperse sites associated with the Aircrew Electronic Warfare Tactical Training Ranges (AEWTTR). These training ranges are located primarily located at Cherry Point, NC, Fallon, NV, Yuma, AZ and Pacific Beach, WA.
- This position entails working with our Chief engineer supporting our RF engineering team, which is responsible for designing, prototyping, and integrating radar transmitters and subsystems such as Traveling Wave Tube Amplifiers (TWTA), magnetrons, solid-state amplifiers and modulators into Electronic Warfare training simulators.
- Daily duties include the design and development of RF circuitry used in high frequency and microwave applications, developing RF systems/Subsystem Architectures that consist of high power transmitter, Amplifiers, receivers, antennas, low-noise amplifiers, RF conversion elements, transmission line equipment and frequency synthesizers.
- Prepares test methods and specifications; analyzes and tests RF hardware to verify performance characteristics.
- Provides input to product development for formal documentation and supports manufacturing during the deliverable assembly and test phase.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 2+ years of relevant experience (additional experience, education and training may be considered in lieu of degree).
- Introduction to Radar Transmitters and subsystems such as Traveling Wave Tube Amplifiers (TWTA), magnetrons, solid-state amplifiers and modulators into Electronic Warfare training simulators
- Introductory knowledge of:
- Antenna Pedestals and pedestal controls
- Mono-Pulsed and Phased array antenna systems
- Servo drive systems
- Digital and analog computer systems
- Microwave waveguide subsystems for radar and antennas
- High Voltage Power Supplies (HVPS)
- Power production associated with ground radar systems
- Ethernet and serial data interfaces
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET Clearance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Familiarity with Cadence OrCAD and Allegro PCB Designer preferred.
- Experience with radars or other high power RF emission systems is desired.
- Familiarity with Xilinx FPGA logic design a plus.
- Experience utilizing Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Past practical experience in design, specification, integration and testing of ground based radar systems
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.