The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) at Leidos currently has an opening for a Senior Staff Scientist – Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated scientist for advanced technology programs focused on novel protein production systems. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong molecular biology and biochemistry skills and hands on experience in recombinant protein production, purification and characterization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and express recombinant proteins using eukaryotic and/or prokaryotic expression systems in vitro and/or in vivo.
- Perform small to mid-scale protein expression characterization
- Perform small to mid-scale protein purification and characterization
- Improve and optimize protein expression and protein function through molecular engineering approaches
- Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of synthetic biology.
- Routinely track and document results in laboratory notebooks, databases and technical reports.
- Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below
- A Bachelors with 12+ years or Masters with 10+ years of experience, Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, Biochemistry or related field is preferred.
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Hands on experience with standard molecular and cell biology techniques including vector design, cloning, cell transformation and cell culture (prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic)
- Hands on experience with prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic protein expression systems, cell-free protein expression, and protein characterization. Recombinant protein expression systems optimization laboratory research experience is required
- Hands on experience in performing protein purification using various chromatographic techniques
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
- Ability to develop systems for difficult to express proteins
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Protein engineering
- Possess US government Security Clearance
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:12
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.