The Leidos Innovation Center has an opening for an Optical Analyst to be located on Kirtland AFB, NM, with expertise in optical systems, data analysis and simulations. This position supports optical research and development projects at the Air Force Research Laboratory Starfire Optical Range, for applications including optical communications and high resolution imaging and tracking of space objects. Projects primarily involve field experiments on optical propagation through turbulence, including laser propagation, optical imaging, radiometry and spectroscopy. Field experiments are concentrated upon the use of large-aperture astronomical-type optical telescopes and large-scale adaptive optical systems for real-time atmospheric compensation and high-accuracy tracking. Specific tasks include experiment data processing and analysis, modeling and simulation of optical propagation, tracking, and system effects, and experiment design, planning, and operations. Flexible work hours may be required.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Processing and analysis of optical imagery, radiometric signatures, and other data from optical laboratory and field experiments
• Simulation and modeling of experiments and systems including conventional and adaptive optics, optical tracking, imaging, and communications systems
• Development of algorithms and methods for signal processing, data analysis, and hardware control
• Design of diagnostic tests and experiments
• Development and maintenance of modeling and analysis code
• Documentation of results
• Communicate directly with customers, engineers, and other scientists, and will work independently under direction of the Leidos program manager
This is you:
• MS in engineering, mathematics, or physics with at least 4 years’ experience or PhD in engineering, mathematics, or physics
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
• Experience in wave-optical analysis or simulation of optical systems
• Experience with scripting languages (Mathematica, Matlab, IDL, etc.)
• Experience with low level programming languages (C, C++, Python, Fortran, etc.)
• Ability to translate derived or evolved algorithms into operational software
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including ability to prepare and present reports and briefings on experiment results.
• Ability to work in a mixed AF/contractor team environment, interfacing directly with government analysts, engineers, and experiment directors.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience in optical laboratory or field experiments
• Experience in astronomical field experiments/observations
• Experience with adaptive optical systems and wavefront sensing
• Experience with wave-optical simulation software
• Experience with astronomical or satellite tracking tools and methods
• Experience with data acquisition software and hardware systems
• Experience in quantum information science or quantum optics
• Top Secret security clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.