Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory is seeking a Research Scientist to join our Team in Albany, OR. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Typical Responsibilities Could Include:
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team and RIC programs as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Provide R&D technical support for the NETL team.
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing results in relation to experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- Develop reliable and efficient models and methods to predict thermodynamic, kinetic, mechanical and environmental properties of advanced alloys
- Predicting temperature-dependent yield strength, ductility, elastic properties, defect energetics (e.g. stacking faults, interfaces and grain boundaries, dislocation, etc.), phase stability, diffusion, and oxidation resistance of high entropy alloys.
- Accelerate the design and development of cost-effective high-performance refractory high entropy alloys for next-generation gas turbine blades at ≥1300 Celsius (without coatings).
- Ph.D degree in Materials Science, Physics, or a related field
- Proficiency in first-principles density functional theory calculations (for example VASP, Wien2k packages), Molecular Dynamics simulation (for example LAMMPS package), Monte Carlo simulation, and CALPHAD modeling (for example ThermoCalc package).
- Proficiency in machine learning (data curation and analysis, algorithms development, etc.) and its application to materials design (e.g. developing reduced order models).
- Proficiency in computer programming such as Python, C/C++, Linux script, parallel computing, VB, Pascal, Matlab, etc.
- Experience in studying dislocations and other defects (such as stacking faults and interfaces).
- Experience in high throughput screening.
- Experience in developing research proposals.
- Experience in structural materials.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.