Leidos Security Detection & Automation Operation (SDA) division is seeking an X-Ray Research Scientist in Vista, CA. Leidos designs, manufactures, and maintains an extensive product line of non-intrusive inspection equipment, radiation detection equipment, and explosives detection systems. These products employ a variety of X-ray producing machines and X-ray detectors as well as imaging techniques. The X-Ray Research Scientist will be responsible for new product development and enhancements of the current product line. The successful candidate will be a key member of the SDA advanced development group with primary responsibilities for research and development related tasks. These will include product specifications, system modelling, algorithm development, and providing guidance to product development engineers.
Research Scientist will:
- Provide definition of requirements and high-level design for radiation imaging system.
- Perform theoretical modeling for complex designs and proof of concept verification.
- Perform image quality verification
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
- Lead preliminary and critical design reviews during the product development process
- Follow established SDA ISO processes
- Provide regular project technical status reports to management
- Make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through information technology, engineering, and science
Required Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in physics, engineering, computer science, or closely related field w/ 3+ yrs relevant experience
- Experience with radiation detections and electronics
- Strong hands on experiences in experimental physics
- Knowledge of radiation sources and imaging techniques
- Experience with data analysis and statistical methods
- Working experience with Matlab, C.
Desired Education & Experience:
- Doctorate in physics, engineering, computer science, or closely related field
- Strong knowledge in or low radiation detection techniques
- Experience with tomographic reconstruction, image and signal processing,
- Knowledge with statistics, modeling (Geant/MCMP)
- Knowledge high energy (MeV) high speed radiation detections
- Experiences in AI or Machine Learning.
- Experience with accelerators
- Experience with innovative solutions and problem solving techniques
- Familiarity with Product Development Process.
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation (SDA) is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X-Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customers, and passengers. The Security Detection & Automation Operation is comprised of three divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
* Ports & Borders
* General Automation
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.