The BD will lead efforts to build Leidos Health GHSS’ sales pipeline, with emphasis on the US HHS and SSA; and enable the successful closure of new mega-deal ($100M+) sales opportunities and expansion of existing client accounts/relationships. Reporting to Leidos Health’s SVP of Strategy & Business Development (BD), with dotted-line accountability to the SVP of Government Health & Safety Solutions (GHSS) operations, this VP of BD is responsible for driving full-lifecycle BD processes across multiple concurrent sales pursuits and proposals, and promoting the successful launch and future growth of this important strategic initiative. Initially, s/he will lead a small BD team in developing the overall BD strategy, business plans and marketing collateral, while establishing strong partnerships internally and externally. This involves gap and emerging requirements ID, market and economic analysis, business intelligence, designing and executing formal capture plans, and staying abreast of competitor activity. In parallel, this BD leader will be responsible for leading, developing and growing a top-tier BD organization -- maintaining a healthy sales pipeline and achieving desired BD and financial goals and increased client satisfaction.
- In collaboration with the SVP of operations, and others, establish credibility with key internal decision-makers and influencers who are integral to the success of Leidos Health, GHSS and BD efforts. Quickly assimilate important/relevant information to facilitate overall strategic planning, pursuit/capture activities, core BD objectives/metrics (awards, submits and pipeline growth), and, in general, the successful growth of the organization, per objectives.
- Proactively assess existing competencies, solutions, resources, etc., as related to current Government Healthcare market demands; align/leverage these assets to create and roll-out strong short and long-term BD strategies; and implement a solid plan to identify, capture and further develop client opportunities that enable the organization to gain a significant share of business in the Government Health marketplace.
- Build and lead a high-performing BD team (~20 capture managers, BD leads & analysts). Establish priorities, create workforce/staffing plans, and ensure proper resource allocations as needed to keep pace with demand and consistently achieving desired results. Foster a “winning” culture around goal attainment, inspiring the team to achieve greater heights and, with integrity and transparency, properly serve the sales organization and prospective clients.
- Serve in a strategic, senior client-facing role to help drive the successful capture of “mega” deals for SSA & HHS -- with initial emphasis on CMS and FDA, among other Government HC businesses (NIH, CDC, HRSA, IHS, ONCHIT, SAMHSA, ACF, etc.)
- Participate in M&A due diligence, JVs, divestitures, expansions, licensing, partnerships, the evaluation of new market opportunities, and sustainability, to ensure alignment with overall strategy and vision.
- Participate in business planning activities, e.g., weekly pipeline reviews, operating plan development, bid agenda development, opportunity collaboration sessions, gate reviews, black hat sessions, win theme and discriminator workshops, and proposal writing and reviews. Monitor the pipeline, the domain/market, competitor activities, and their potential impact on market share.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Strong track record of success in large-scale, “mega-deal” pursuits and captures, across multiple organizations and program offices of varying acquisition sizes.
- 12-15 years of successful, consultative, client-facing, full-lifecycle BD experience; i.e., strategic business planning, goal-setting, and metrics-driven process management experience, including BD market research and gap identification, economics analysis, business intelligence, collateral creation,
- Pricing, licensing, contracting, pursuit and capture planning and hands-on leadership, market/competitor monitoring, partnerships, and overall pipeline development and management.
- Able to articulate the reasons for his/her pursuit teams’ successes and failures; explain the “how’s” and “why’s” of the pursuit/capture process; identify the keys to future success; and, having a solid grasp of their concerns, articulate “value” to prospective clients.
- Outstanding teambuilding, leadership and talent management skills -- the ability to hire/build, assess, (re)organize, coach, develop, motivate, track/measure and grow an optimized, high-performing team capable of taking the organization to higher performance levels, and achieving growth objectives.
- Experience working directly with HHS &/or SSA executive personnel, with demonstrated access to C-level/senior executive decision-makers and key influencers within those agencies. And Government Healthcare domain knowledge -- strong understanding of the business challenges and concerns as well as solutions/capabilities germane to those entities.
- Structured “best practices” approach to project/team management and client engagement. Strong track record of setting effective and efficient plans; leading and achieving established goals; and meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Financial management experience – has successfully planned and run large budgets; sets reasonable financial goals and holds all accountable; develops profitable and compelling client value propositions/proposals; and consistently meets financial commitments.
- M&A experience – has investigated, evaluated and/or otherwise participated in M&A and JV-oriented due diligence and related strategic acquisition activities.
- Successful IT Services/ITO BD and sales support track record; broad understanding of enterprise IT services and how to open doors, shape and champion offerings, coordinate pursuit teams, and help close large enterprise deals.
- A credible, self-driven and influential relationship-builder, executive collaborator, and ” thought leader” who, independently, navigates complex and sometimes politically-charged waters to drive and achieve desired results -- a trusted leader who keeps the needle of progress moving, and creates well-balanced and inspired multi-departmental pursuit teams (the Executive Suite, BU Leadership, IT, Services Delivery, Operations, Finance, Legal/Compliance, HR, Sales/Marketing, etc.) that consistently achieve shared goals.
- Experience continually improving upon successful pursuit and capture strategies, processes and best practices; and aligning resources to generate desired results.
- Superior communication, organizational, and presentation skills (verbal and written) – comfortable with various CRM automation tools for pipeline management, reporting, etc.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, independent, and resourceful
- Comfortable with ambiguity, wearing multiple ‘hats’, being hands-on where needed; a skilled mentor
- Collaborative and engaging “people” person -- enjoys being an integral part of a great team
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred, ideally, in a related technical or business discipline.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Business Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.