The Leidos Data Science Fellowship provides recent graduates a unique opportunity to develop and apply data science skills to important issues in public health. The fellows will contribute to various data science projects working within a cross-functional team at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, GA. The fellow would analyze various datasets (both unstructured and structured) to determine data relationships, model datasets for loading/storing in relational databases, create new data pipelines and ETL processes, and create data visualization using PowerBI and/or R Shiny dashboards and RMarkdown documents working closely with the Leidos team and CDC staff. Leidos wants to help create the next generation of data scientists who have the data science skills to solve real-world problems and are passionate about focusing their efforts on solving social challenges that impact the public health sector.
- A brief cover letter that states the overall goals and motivation for applying
- A curriculum vitae (including a list of publications or a brief statement of past research accomplishments
What to Expect
Fellows will have an opportunity to work research questions in areas such as:
- AI/ML in data management and working with private or hybrid cloud based data lake
- Analyze and research questions on pandemic surveillance and efficacy, and programmatic efficiency topics;
- Assessment of federal agency information and computing architectures that support data science applications (i.e., large, distributed data sets and computational assets);
Some experiences will include:
- Involvement in workshops and discussions on relevant topics
- Mentorship from members of the Leidos research staff
- Training on specific analytical methods and tools
- Attendance and presentation at select professional society meetings
Who Should Apply?
This is a full time salaried position and is only open to recent recipients of a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree and 0-1 year of experience.
- Candidate with Bachelor’s degree or Masters’ degree in Data Science, Statistics, Information Technology, Public Health or other relevant disciplines such as economics, operations research, mathematics, with a strong foundation in statistics and/or applied mathematics are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates must demonstrate experience with one or more programming language or statistical software used in research (e.g., Python, R, SAS, Stata, MATLAB, C, Java, etc.)
- Candidates must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills. Ideal candidates are able to contribute to and support team efforts.
Additional preferred skills include:
- Training and/or experience in quantitative or qualitative information collection, data analysis, and advanced data analytics
- Experience as a research assistant in an academic or policy research setting
- Experience or coursework in Bayesian statistics, machine learning, predictive analytics, and/or data visualization
- Experience working with electronic health records and laboratory data
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Data Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.