Would you like to work where you can make a difference helping improve the transportation industry while expanding your Communications experience?
Leidos is hiring a Communications Specialist in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in communicating the latest in CAV Technology. The Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for the FHWA.
This role will primarily be focused on communications strategy and the successful execution of communication products and activities for the Virtual Open Innovation Collaborative Environment for Safety (VOICES) proof of concept project. The VOICES project aims to seed a platform designed to facilitate collaboration, while protecting intellectual property (IP), among diverse stakeholders to design, build, test, and evaluate the safety, mobility, efficiency, and environmental impacts of transportation.
This role will also support an extensive array of marketing endeavors for the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art facility for conducting CAV research. This position will work towards enhancing the vision to the communication organization and Explore new methods of engagement. Identify synergies and work towards increasing effectiveness of the team. The laboratory enables the FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies. This position will assist in the enhancing the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications, to include; fact sheets, social media, PowerPoint presentations, videos, infographics, and topical articles. Additionally, this role is expected to support data analysis, and this position will be responsible for applying business analytics skills and utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) tools to quantify, analyze, and visualize the value of publications and communications activities.
- Manage communications, outreach, publications, and stakeholder engagement activities for the Virtual Open Innovation Collaborative Environment for Safety (VOICES) proof of concept project.
- Apply data-driven marketing best practices, using data analysis and business analytics expertise to make strategic decisions and recommendations.
- Create and revise content for articles in technical and general media publications, digital newsletters, and technology transfer platforms.
- Produce, design, and edit content for videos, social media, public announcements, fact sheets, presentations, training courses, and other associated media and materials.
- Lead and facilitate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats, including in-person and web-based.
- Develop concise and compelling summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
- Identify better process and methodologies to improve the effectiveness of communications, outreach, marketing, and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Support development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
- Collaborate and coordinate with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed to facilitate the logistics and publication of various communications materials.
- Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, or a related discipline with 6+ years of experience in marketing and communications.
- Demonstrated experienced with development of communications strategies and outreach plans.
- Proven experience creating compelling marketing content.
- Previous experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Software a must.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
- Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate content for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team with diverse subject matter expertise.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple communications and outreach projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Demonstrated experience with writing and content development for a variety of communications media, platforms, and publications.
- Proven knowledge of visual creation for an assortment of digital and print collateral.
- Practical experience with the planning for and execution of marketing strategy, including in-person and virtual events.
- Strong understanding of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across STOL projects.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with Adobe Captivate, Adobe Premiere Pro, Unity virtual reality (VR) software, Pano2VR virtual tour software, and Tableau.
- Strong project management skills.
- Familiar with following different communication style guides.
- Knowledge of leading photoshoots, coordinating video shoots, and editing media.
- Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms, preferably Adobe Connect.
- Knowledge of web design and development.
- Ability to learn substance of research quickly.
- Intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
- Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
- Knowledge of the USDOT, transportation industry, automated vehicles, CAV, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies.
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
Come join our rapidly growing team and enjoy these benefits:
- Accrue 3 weeks of PTO during your first year
- Get ten paid holidays a year
- Access to benefits on day one including medical and dental insurance
- Employee discounts
- Company HSA contribution
- Excellent 401K
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Marketing Communications
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.