The Defense Group of Leidos is seeking an experienced chemist for an energetic materials laboratory focusing on classical inorganic analytical chemistry and use of a variety of analytical instrumentation. Candidate must be proficient in HPLC methodology, capable of developing new and/or apply existing methods to obtain quantitative and qualitative compositional information on formulations containing organic and inorganic energetic materials, binders, waxes, cross-linking agents, or other components. Must be able to perform and comprehend the theory behind wet chemistry methods pertaining to inorganic compounds. Assists with research and development (R&D) projects and implementing new methods or adapting existing methods related to energetic materials.
- Executes analytical methods and studies using a variety of technologies which may include but are not limited to: HPLC, ICP, titrations, wet chemistry methods, and UV spectroscopy.
- Analyzes energetics and other materials for stability, chemical and physical characteristics. Develops new or finds existing methods for same.
- Assists in writing specifications and SOPs pertaining to military requirements.
- Generates supporting laboratory documentation in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Capable of maintaining new and existing equipment.
- Participates in validation studies needed to support internal methodologies.
- Assists with maintaining chemistry laboratory stock chemicals and supplies.
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret Security Clearance. This means you must be U.S. Citizen
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Chemistry with 5-8 years of applicable experience in a laboratory environment. Higher degree preferred.
- Knowledge of common analytical procedures including titrations, gravimetric analyses, HPLC, ICP, UV Spectroscopy, FT-IR.
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques, equipment, and terminology.
- Ability to make complex mathematical computations, use statistical techniques in the treatment of data, and interpret and apply findings.
- Able to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage own work. Able to work unsupervised, make moderate level decisions independently, and solve problems effectively and creatively.
- Advanced degree preferred
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.