Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
The Leidos Corporation was selected by the National Science Foundation (NSF) as the Prime Contractor for supporting U.S. research sites in Antarctica.
Leidos is looking to fill the Senior Project Engineer position, who will serve as a member of the Leidos, Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) and will be part of the capital improvement program managing the modernization of McMurdo station. Projects range from facility construction, station utilities, and civil earthwork using self-performed or subcontracted execution strategies. The Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) program team is based in Centennial, Colorado and is funded by the United States National Science Foundation (NSF).
The Senior Project Engineer is responsible for planning and coordinating activities and has technical accountability for interpreting, organizing, and coordinating the engineering scope. Reports to the Project Manager and works within an integrated management team for ASC and is accountable for the timely delivery of the design work packages developed by 3rd Party engineering consultants and/or design firms. This includes preliminary scope development, project planning, change control, scheduling, procurement, project execution, and project closeout. Manages review for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, codes, and customer requirements. Manages design changes, specification and drawing releases.
The Senior Project Engineer will help plan, schedule, and assist in determining resource loads and will work with the engineering manager, construction managers, planning and controls, and project managers to ensure that designs are complete, materials are procured, and resources are identified as required to meet project requirements.
Specific job duties include:
- Provides planning, technical and administrative guidance to assigned project, discipline, and consultant engineers in the management of engineering scope on the project.
- Review plans & specifications for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, codes, & customer requirements.
- Facilitates design review and client acceptance of 3rd Party consultant produced design packages.
- Coordinates project work/needs within ASC sustaining groups.
- Manages required change orders, design changes, and specification changes for technical merit.
- Manage review of and response to RFIs and submittals as assigned by project manager.
- Keeps the relevant project managers informed of project engineering status, issues, and changes for the project.
- Keeps informed on the status of project issues with respect to schedule, budget, work quality and client satisfaction, and contributes leadership, experience and expertise in the solution of difficult problems.
- Manages engineering activities following project plans, specifications, and project schedules.
- Monitor 3rd Party consultant for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, codes, and NSF requirements.
- Reviews major changes or deviations in project scope, project material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
- Participates in project meetings/teleconferences to support progress, implement procedures, and ensure compliance with engineering specifications and standards.
- Coordinates supply of technical information to the 3rd Party consultant to allow the program to progress.
- Interacts with National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials in a professional and tactful manner, on an as needed basis.
- Coordinates, facilitates and manages interfaces both internal and external.
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, with subordinates as needed to relay information they need in order to be successful in their jobs. This includes, but is not limited to, staff meetings, performance appraisals, job requirements, projects, Quality Standard Procedures, and safety practices.
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project.
- A recognized Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 10+ years of professional experience; or 8+ years of professional experience with a related Master’s degree.
- Experience managing engineering design efforts by a 3rd Party consultant.
- Broad knowledge of industry codes and standards, project controls, and design criteria in all engineering disciplines.
- Proficient knowledge of activities and operations in other functions including procurement, construction, environmental safety and health, and quality assurance.
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and design engineering or architectural design.
- Experience planning various projects in remote and logistically challenging locations.
- Experience working in an engineering group with Project Managers, Construction Managers, Engineers, Estimators, Project Controls and Drafters to produce project plans from conceptual to “Approved for Construction” drawings.
- Experience using BIM for project engineering execution.
- Field engineering experience, managing field changes, engineering quality control, deliverables, as-built drawings, and other engineering activities supporting Final Completion.
- Experience with procurement and material tracking.
- Professional license in an engineering discipline or a license to practice architecture from a recognized licensing board.
- Experience developing and reviewing project schedules for completeness and accuracy. Primavera and Microsoft Project experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Deployment to Antarctica may be required in this position at discretion of management. If required, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, and psychological examination for winter-over positions, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure. US citizenship or permanent residence is required.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.