The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) is seeking a Autonomous Systems Engineer for a position in Arlington, VA. The Autonomous Systems Engineer will work with other engineers in the LInC, the Office of Technology (OoT), and across Leidos to support multi-domain collaborative autonomy. This position will contribute to Leidos autonomous system capability development. He/she will work with a team of Scientists and Engineers who provide direct support in Autonomous Systems and will play a role in supporting these activities across Leidos.
Research and become familiar with autonomous system architectures, software and hardware components, enabling technologies, relevant scenarios, and challenges
- Implement autonomous system software components to support various technical areas including:
- Perception and situational understanding
- Planning and decision making
- Behavior and action execution
- Collaboration and manned-unmanned teaming
- Human-machine interaction and interfaces
- Develop and integrate novel, open source, or academic AI and/or machine learning based algorithms into autonomous systems architectures
- Develop software interfaces and perform integration testing for hardware devices such as robot motor controllers, flight controllers, and various sensors
- Utilize simulation tools for algorithm and component test and evaluation
- Optimize algorithms and components for low size, weight, and power embedded systems
- Contribute to field test planning and execution ranging from testing on indoor mobile robots to outdoor flight tests
- Collaborate with other autonomous systems team members and other teams throughout Leidos on a regular basis to stay up to date on existing capabilities that support autonomous systems
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineer, Software Engineering, Robotics, or other related field and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance (US Citizenship required)
- Experience developing in Linux and familiarity with command line interfaces
- Experience with Java or C++
- Experience with Python
- Experience with hardware devices and integration
Note: We do not expect ANY applicant to have all of these qualifications, but preferably one or a subset of experience in these areas.
- Experience with autonomous systems development
- Experience with robotic development tools such as ROS
- Experience utilizing and integrating open source software packages
- Experience developing and deploying mobile robots (any domain – ground, air, sea, space)
- Experience with embedded systems such as Raspberry Pi, Arduino, NVIDIA Jetson boards
- Experience with modeling and simulation tools such as Gazebo, AirSim, Matlab/Simulink
- Experience with AI, machine learning, and/or cognitive reasoning algorithms
- Experience with machine vision, perception, and/or situational understanding
- Experience with specialized GPU or FPGA based processing hardware
- Experience with GPS technology, localization, navigation, or SLAM algorithms
- Experience with robotic path planning algorithms
- Experience with context reasoning and decision making algorithms
- Experience with distributed robot coordination
- Experience with signal processing and/or sensor fusion techniques
- Experience with frame of reference / coordinate frame transformations
- Experience with human-machine interfaces
- Experience with IP networking technologies such as TCP and UDP
- Experience with messaging infrastructures such as RabbitMQ, ZeroMQ, ActiveMQ, Kafka
- Experience with containerization tools such as Docker
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.