Leidos is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer for its Fort Meade Engineering team; who will contribute to the overall engineering, design, build, implementation/integration, and operations support of all existing and new Infrastructure. To be successful in this role, you should have been a Senior VMWare Administrator. US Citizenship is required and an active Top Secret clearance is required to qualify.
• Work as an integrated member of the engineering team building DOD systems using advanced NSX/ESXi networking functionalities such as virtual or distributed switches, network emulation devices, network overlay technologies and NIC offload capabilities
• Manage Fort Meade lab environment infrastructure for day to day operations
• Provide top-level technical expertise, including performing in-depth and complex software systems programming and analysis with minimum guidance.
• Identify, assess, and present options for meeting the functional and technical requirements including software updates or upgrades.
• Formulate and define specifications for operating system applications or modify and maintain existing applications using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer.
• Create detailed design specifications for use by software development staff members.
• Interact with project management to plan project schedules and technical direction.
• Manage all messaging systems, Windows Server Enterprise supported by the Infrastructure team by performing server builds, virtual machine management, server maintenance, etc.
• Manage VMware vSphere environment and all supporting components, NSX, vRA, vROPS, etc.
• Recommend and implement changes to the overall system and messaging environments through following an institutionalized change management process
• Act as an escalation point on critical issues for various internal technology groups
• Communicate accurate and useful status reports to management on a timely basis.
• Anticipate issues and pro-actively resolve them.
• Prepare contingencies, scenarios, scenario plans and action items to resolve issues
• Identify and initiate continuous improvements.
• Interact with vendors in the resolution of complex problems.
• Effectively communicate with customers, help desk support personnel and senior technicians.
• Facilitate training sessions for peers on new technology solutions, optimization, upgrades, trouble-shooting techniques, new technology and administration tools.
• Create and maintain technical documentation to include system design documents, network diagrams, user guides, and release notes
• Bachelor's degree in a related discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Network Engineering, Math) and 8 years of experience OR at least fifteen (15) years of general experience, of which ten (10) years is directly related experience, a degree is not required.
• Must hold or be able to obtain DoD 8570 IAT Level II certification within three months of onboard.
• U.S. citizenship is required with an active Top Secret clearance.
• Eight years direct experience, in the last ten years related in experience identified below:
- Solid experience with Microsoft applications in a VMware virtual environment
- Strong experience in implementing and troubleshooting vCenter and Virtual Machines
- Strong experience in implementing and troubleshooting Virtual Networking configurations as well as Distributed Virtual Switches
- Strong experience in Hypervisor and Virtual Machine Storage
- Strong experience in SAN and NAS administration
- Strong experience managing a Windows environment, including but not limited to Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy.
- Strong experience in Public and Private Key services (Design and Implementation)
- Experience with modifying Powershell scripts for administration and automation of Day 1 – Day 3 Operations.
- Experience with VMware Operations Manager, LogInsight, Subject Matter Expert with either Active Directory, Exchange, VMWare, SharePoint, or other complex Windows applications
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.