Leidos Government Health and Safety Solutions is seeking an experienced Artificial Intelligence Machine Learning (AI/ML) Lead, contingent upon contract award.
The AI/ML Lead will be experienced in working with federal health agencies to lead a team of data scientists supporting HHS programs in Rockville/ Bethesda, MD. We are seeking a lead who has the skill, desire and passion to grow a team of data scientists and engineers that will design and develop innovative ideas in the AI/ML domain that will solve our customer’s challenges in regulatory science and food-drug safety.
Candidates should have successful, proven, and demonstrable experience leading cross-discipline teams in the development and integration of software-based solutions and proven experience deploying solutions at scale into prototype and production systems in the federal health market. The ideal candidate will also have experience in directing teams of data scientists (including research scientists with backgrounds in machine learning, artificial intelligence, and embedded systems) in the design of sub-components, integration platforms, and testing and research validation methodologies and techniques.
The candidate’s responsibilities will include:
- Work with HHS customers (FDA, NIH, CDC, CMS, HRSA) to evaluate systems and business requirements
- Lead a team of data scientists and recommendations for improvement on the tools, products, platform and business process architecture currently in place
- Develop and implement AI/ML processes, guidelines, best practices, templates and tools
- Implement and lead an organizational AI/ML community of practice
- Research HHS structured and unstructured data (drug, food, tobacco submission data, medical device, cancer research, health grants) and analyze large amounts of data to discover trends and patterns
- Assess vendor platform tools and capabilities to develop SOPs and best practices to integrate the capabilities offered by those platforms into the overall Concept Of Operations and Target architecture for Leidos Healthcare customer specific use cases
- Work collaboratively with the customers and teams on designing and developing efficient, fault-tolerant ML workflows for processing high-velocity, heterogeneous data in a production environment, including optimization of ML workflows for CPU & GPU processing
- Assist the project team in analyzing, preparing, and ingesting large volume data sets (structured and unstructured datasets) for ready consumption by AI/ML models and algorithms.
- Present information using data visualization techniques; build predictive models and ML algorithms and collaborate with product development teams in an agile-scrum environment to create prototype and obtain ATO for production
- Analyze the AI/ML model outcomes, and refine the model accuracy by tuning the data sets and identifying potential issues with training and production data sets quality.
- Manage the full lifecycle of Machine Learning microservices, including model prototyping, training & evaluation, containerization, unit testing, performance optimization, and deployment in a Kubernetes-based infrastructure
- Bachelors' degree or Masters' degree in Computer Science, Data Science or a related discipline
- 10+ years of technical expertise within major AI or software-centric programs in industry, academia, or government
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with developing and implementing AI/ML solutions in a federal environment to include, but not limited to, experience with data modeling and data engineering, feature engineering, model lifecycle management, and cloud infrastructure; predictive analytics and modeling and supervised and unsupervised machine learning, computer vision, pattern recognition, reduced order modeling
- 3+ years of experience in managing and leading cross functional teams of 8+ people
- Experience analyzing and optimizing algorithms and machine learning models for higher accuracy and predictability
- Knowledge of data security in a health market (handling of PHI, HIPAA data)
- Strong writing, and customer facing presentation & speaking skills
- Self-motivated learner with ability to accomplish tasks with minimum supervision, and ability to function effectively as part of rapid prototyping projects
- Experience with tools such as Galaxy, Jupyter notebooks, PyCharm
- Experience with creating ML algorithms such as decision trees, random forests, linear and non-linear support vector machines, and logistic regression
- Proficiency in Distributed Computing & Databases such as HDFS, Hive, Spark, HBase, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Neo4j, HBase, Impala, Cassandra, Accumulo
- Proficiency in development and DevSecOps methods and tools such as Agile Scrum, Kanban, Git, GitLab, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Puppet, AWS Lambda, etc
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Experience with deep learning tools and algorthms: Tensorflow, Spark, Theano, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Keras, Nvidia DIGITS, Convolutional Neural Network, RCNNs, LSTMs
- Experience with AI/ML cloud services
- Experience with implementing an AI/ML training program
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 50%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Data Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.