Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? This Leidos team operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication.
To support these goals, Leidos is seeking a Communications Engineer who is motivated by variety, thrives in a challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and will be a key part of a team developing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research. This person will play a significant role in developing and evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others.
The successful candidate will work closely with software developers, fellow engineers, and project managers to develop and execute test plans, install and manage communications hardware, and analyze wireless communications needs. The candidate should enjoy working in a lab environment and in real world settings developing and testing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance the state of technology and promote adoption. The Communications Engineer will be part of a growing research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
Location: McLean, VA
Primary responsibilities include:
- Interacting with customer and in-house development teams to identify, understand, and resolve technical goals and challenges
- Working with wireless device vendors to specify and procure development hardware
- Operating, testing, and installing equipment
- Configuring wireless hardware and software
- Independent troubleshooting
- Evaluating new communication methods using cellular and DSRC in a vehicle environment
- Conduct communication simulation for different communication protocols (e.g., DSRC and cellular)
- Developing Connected Vehicle- and Infrastructure-based applications
- Data processing and analysis by using statistical methods
- Tracking and reporting performance of devices and software under test
- Producing clear and concise records of testing
- Conducting demonstrations, meetings, and webinars
- Writing technical reports and technical documentation
- Contributing to proposals, work efforts, budgets, schedules, and work breakdown structures
- Test planning and development, system testing, and user documentation.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, or other engineering field with 4+ years of experience testing and troubleshooting complex software and hardware systems. Or, Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, or other engineering field with 2+ years of experience testing and troubleshooting complex software and hardware systems
- Familiar with radio frequency device performance characterization and modulation techniques
- Familiar with Linux and Windows Operating systems
- Experience with IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP, SNMP and networking in general
- Experience with creating and executing comprehensive test cases
- Ability to identify, record, document, and track faults and flaws in a device under test
- Hands-on setup of data collection hardware and software
- Self-motivated and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products on or ahead of schedule
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- Hold a valid driver’s license in the U.S. and ability to pass DMV background check
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Experience with Keysight FieldFox or other spectrum analyzer
- Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, C++, C#, C
- Understanding of connected and/or automated vehicle operations
- Familiar with wireless and connected vehicle standards including IEEE 802.11 & 1609, 3GPP LTE & 5G, SAE J2735 & J2945
- Understanding of ITS standards, such as NTCIP 1202
- Understanding of network simulation tools (e.g. NS-3)
- Geospatial positioning (e.g. GPS) and position correction (e.g. RTCM)
- Awareness of the systems engineering process
- Experience with Git, Maven, and Gradle
- Network administration/engineering
- Data management
- Familiar with R, Matlab, and/or other professional statistical software package.
- Due to traveling to government test tracks to support field experiments, U.S. citizenship is preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.