Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
An opportunity exists within the RSS Contract at National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)-Pittsburgh to join an interdisciplinary team participating in developing new optical fiber sensor technologies for energy infrastructure sensing applications, with an emphasis on natural gas infrastructure. The Optical Scientist will collaborate on an interdisciplinary team spanning industry, academic, and national laboratory partners that seeks to develop and demonstrate advanced sensors and enabling technologies for energy infrastructure monitoring applications. The team seeks a candidate with a strong background in distributed fiber optic interrogator development and fiber-optic devices and systems for physical and chemical sensing in energy infrastructure monitoring applications.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop fiber-optic devices and sensing platforms to monitor the structural health of energy infrastructure with an emphasis on natural gas pipelines.
- Develop and prototype distributed optical fiber interrogators for long-distance and distributed sensing in both lab testing and field demonstration.
- Model the physics of light propagation in unaltered and functionalized optical fibers and interaction with surrounding media and external stimuli.
- Prototype, develop and deploy novel fiber-optics sensors for environmental conditions monitoring.
- Strong collaborative interactions are expected with material scientists as well as other device level scientists focused on the distributed gas and chemical sensing for natural gas pipelines.
- Publications in high quality scientific peer-reviewed journals, presentations at national and international technical meetings
- Development of new intellectual property based on the innovative research
- Period status reporting and project reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and clients
- This position will require extensive interface with clients and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- PhD degree in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering or a related field of study.
- Experience in distributed fiber optic interrogator development based on optical time-domain reflectometry (OTDR) and optical frequency-domain reflectometry (OFDR).
- Knowledge of optical spectroscopy techniques including UV/Vis/Near-IR, ellipsometry, fluorescence, fiber coating, fiber Bragg gratings, interferometric sensing, optical time-domain reflectometry (OTDR), optical frequency-domain reflectometry (OFDR), Rayleigh and other backscatter phenomena
- Hands-on familiarity with laboratory equipment such as lasers, photodiode detectors, fusion splicers, electro-optic modulators, spectrophotometer, oscilloscopes, optical spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, and data acquisition and processing systems
- Experience with simulation of fiber-optics waveguide devices with algorithms such as Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD), beam propagation method (BPM), Finite element method (FEM) using software packages such as COMSOL; mathematical solutions software such as MATLAB.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is highly desired.
- Strong background in Optics, fiber-optic sensing technologies and techniques.
- Hands-on experience with optical fiber and designing optical systems is highly desired.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
Command & Control
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.