The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist to support the Naval Infectious Diseases Diagnostic Laboratory (NIDDL) in the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department, Infectious Diseases Directorate, Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, MD. The position will perform duties and help maintain the operations of the laboratory, which performs high-complexity molecular diagnostics using FDA approved and non-approved laboratory validated technology.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Function as a clinical laboratory scientist for the Naval Infectious Diseases Diagnostic Laboratory; is fully expected to ensure standards and requirements for College of American Pathologist (CAP) accreditation and all institutional regulatory requirements are met and maintained.
- Oversee staff performing clinical laboratory assays for infectious diseases in an accurate and timely manner following written standard operating procedures (SOPs). Accurately perform all quality testing to insure accuracy of results as specified by regulatory agencies and supervisory review. Responsible for handling personally identifiable information (PII) relevant to patient care following Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) standards.
- Direct laboratory research projects, including collection and organization of data, generating reports, presentations, and manuscripts. Make detailed observations about experiments and troubleshoots assays in compliance with the quality management plan.
- Develop new diagnostic tests and take a lead role in validating new diagnostic assays to be used for patient care.
- Prepare technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
- Maintain clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories, and logbooks.
- Perform and analyze data entry for assays and projects and maintain databases.
- Maintain supplies in the laboratory and keep the laboratory area clean.
- Provide advanced data analysis and interpretation.
- Work is to be performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday - Friday 0800 to 1630.
- PhD degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or equivalent discipline is required.
- Minimum Experience: 4-5 years virology laboratory experience required.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Willing and able to endure long periods of standing and sitting as well as handling various chemicals
- Advanced experience in Virology and assay development preferred.
- Significant clinical laboratory experience and ASCP Certification is a plus.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.