The Technical Writer handles development and production of training and instructional materials for training courses, training aids, and prototype training. This requires assistance in the development and editing of, but not limited to, instructional lessons, scripts, story boards, lesson plans, course books, instructor guides, transparencies, posters, charts, slides, training publications, course control documentation, and other instructional supporting materials. Writer personnel will be required to develop, proofread and edit training materials, reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, instruction books, catalogs, and related publications in support of this task. All development, revision, and production is done in accordance with FAA training standards, policies, and guidelines. Collaboration with SMEs and other project team members will also be incorporated for such development, revision, and production.
This position is currently budgeted for six-months however, it may be extended to become a full-time position.
The Technical Writer will:
- Writes, proofreads, and edits training content in all delivery media for objectivity, consistency, writing style, manner of presentation, and format
- Incorporates graphics, photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts for illustration purposes for use in training, instructional, and reference materials
- Generates training, instructional, and reference materials for publication
- Maintains records and files of all work, tracking all version changes
- Reads manuals, reports, and other material to become familiar with evolving technologies, methods, agency policies, and tools to integrate new initiatives
- Demonstrates experience in Microsoft Office© (specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat©, and graphic software applications.
Bachelors degree and 4+ years of relevant, practical and recognizable experience in the following:
- Effective written and verbal communications
- Proofreading skills with emphasis on quality and clarity
- Microsoft Office© (specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat©, and graphic software (to develop simple graphics, perform minor modifications to existing graphics, and/or reformat graphics for publication purposes)
- Editing and reformatting written or electronic drafts
- Performing page and graphics layouts
- Proper selection and use of the English language and grammar
- Coordinates and consults with FAA, using care not to alter meaning or intent of the material
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.