The Leidos Security Detection & Automation (SDA) operation is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with a background in backscatter technology to join our engineering team in Vista, CA. This is a great opportunity for a staff engineer who likes to roll up their sleeves and work hands-on while exploring bleeding edge technology. Working in a diverse and collaborative R&D environment, this position will be responsible for high speed motor and collimation design in support of new product development and enhancement. This will include specification, component selections, critical component design, and following engineering review and document control practices.
The ultimate goal for this position will be to introduce new products to our already extensive line of security detection products. The products being developed through this effort are truly novel, and will make travel and trade safer, healthier, and more efficient on a global level.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design, implement, and test high-speed (~30,000 RPM) rotating collimation systems
- Design associated mounting structures and bearings to satisfy stability requirements
- Identify components, communicate with vendors, provide analytical suggestions for component selections
- Understand and design to high-speed rotation safety requirements
- Implement sigh speed rotation balance design and fine adjustment
- Optimize complex designs
- Build prototypes and verify requirements
- Join the product development team and provide expertise for key component design requirements
- Work closely with scientists and engineers for motor control and synchronization
- Lead preliminary and critical design reviews for subsystems during product development process.
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
- Follow established SDA ISO processes
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field with 6-8 years’ experience, OR a Master’s degree in related field and 4-6 years’ experience. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Experience in backscatter x-ray and high speed revolving mechanisms
- 4+ years of experience in the area of high speed rotation design
- Strong knowledge of modeling
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D solid modeling CAD tools
- Good documentation and process discipline
- Experience with X-ray device shielding and collimation
- Familiarity with Product Development Process
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers. The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
* Hold Baggage
* Ports & Borders
Learn more about the greater Security Detection and Automation Operation team, offering an array of exciting career opportunities for the best in IT and Engineering.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.