The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a Transportation/Shipping Specialist in Columbia, MD.
This role will support The Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) Group. This is an exciting opportunity to manage, coordinate, and administer processes associated with the passage and transportation requirements of materials, goods, products, or people. Safety considerations are paramount throughout these passages in order to support and assist in operating and maintaining the SNS national stockpiled inventory. In this mission we assist in ensuring the SNS inventory is ready for deployment, providing the ability to respond 24 x 7 in an emergency.
- Subject Matter Expert on transportation requirement for government customers. Utilized independent judgement in analyzing transportation functions at repository and provide recommendations for improvement and efficiency.
- Perform analysis on all transportation requirements. Analyze to determine trends and provide recommendations to improve or change operational processes with may impact a national program.
- Ability to coordinate with the government on cache sites, state representatives, and third-party vendors on all transportation requirements. Exercise discretion when delegating taskers to the 3rd party logistics vendor during normal operations and/or during an emergency response, in the delegation of Federal counterpart.
- Ability to plan all aspects of the mission ensuring all coordination is handled properly and ensure the right product is going to the right site via the best possible mode of transportation based on knowledge and experience. Utilized independent judgment in identifying the type of transportation tools within Supply Chain to utilized based on the needs of the operations.
- Ability to make transportation analysis based on review the picklist, loan agreements, control items, DEA registrant information in order to ensure that they are compliant with cGMP standards during all phases of the mission.
- Works with automated movements and transportation information systems as they pertain to transportation operations. Current systems include Stockpile Resource Planning, and 3PL systems. Applies technical knowledge of deployment, and shipping principles and policies in application of practical traffic and transportation operational requirements.
- Prepares appropriate documentation required for the mode of transportation asset being utilized. Uses local and government transportation policies and procedures to arrive at the appropriate transportation solution.
- Provides technical advice and assistance in the execution of daily transportation requirements.
- Maintains transportation In-transit Visibility (ITV) for routine, high value and Sensitive Materiel transportation movements.
- Prepares Government Shipping Labels (GSL)
- Utilizes knowledge and expertise of the private industry transportation system to manage transportation requirements for the government.
- Obtains desired information from appropriate 3PL and government sources, organizes data into usable format for reporting, coordinates and follows-up with data systems and other management Information systems to ensure data collection is carried out.
- Must have basic knowledge of the principles of deployment and transportation requirements.
- Other assigned Logistics activities.
Bachelors’ Degree with 4 years of applicable experience or 6 additional years of experience in lieu of degree.
Must be able to obtain Public Trust clearance.
- Familiar with computers, good organizational skills, ability to follow instruction and work under pressure. Ability to be on feet most of the day.
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to be available 24 hour, 7 days a week.
- Must be proficient in common software, particularly with Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Good communication skills, both orally and written.
- Be able to secure a secret security clearance.
- The ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Strong relationship-building and diplomacy skills
- Must have the ability to work handle request (s) from multiple groups/organizations
- Technically savvy is a plus.
- Must possess character traits of being accurate, meticulous, proactive, efficient, self-starter, a team player.
Previous experience supporting a government agency.
Knowledge of the Transportation Regulations preferred
Broad knowledge of the mission, function and practices of Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Homeland Security, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention /ASPR preferred
Knowledge of the regulations, policies and procedures outlines in the Federal Response Plan preferred
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.