The Leidos Maritime Systems Division (MSD) in Arlington, VA, is currently seeking a qualified, energetic acoustician or ocean scientist to fill the position of Scientist – Acoustics & Signal Processing. The job of the Acoustician/Signal Processor is to develop and deploy advanced technology solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for a broad range of customers across the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, other governmental agencies and commercial clients. The qualified candidate will perform ocean acoustic/signal processing system research, development and application with increasingly complex operational assignments. MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state of the art technologies for maritime C4ISR systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, position, navigation and timing (PNT) systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of novel physical insights translated into advanced signal processing solutions applied to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group engineers and scientists who are engaged in these activities in support of a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S&T customers to support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world-class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development. Some travel required, as well as the opportunity for time at sea.
- Provide leadership and technical support on direct customer programs.
- Active participation in new customer development efforts and new business generation.
- Active participation in technical, academic and standards communities relevant to ocean acoustics, signal and array processing for sensing, communications, PNT, and/or unmanned autonomous systems.
- Leads, and/or collaborates with MSD managers and other technical leads to support capture efforts.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Physics, Oceanography, Acoustics, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or other relevant field required with 6+ years of experience, or Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of related experience.
- Expertise in Matlab programming is required.
- Effectively contribute to team projects
- Expertise in typical ocean acoustic modeling packages and acoustic signal processing techniques
- Contribute to the successful capture of competitive Navy, DARPA and other procurements.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Successfully completed coursework in oceanography and maritime systems
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense (DoD) SECRET clearance
- Expertise in Python
- Active TOP SECRET clearance.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.