The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation is seeking a DevSecOps Engineer. This role is open to full telework.
Apply practices that combine software development and IT operations to shorten development life cycle and provide continuous delivery of secure quality software. Build products that solve big problems in the Emergency Management field. Works with collaborative teams in planning, analysis, design and construction of information systems on an enterprise-wide basis. Develop methodologies for small agile teams to develop, implement and ship software in short increments. This is a hands on position providing tools and technical planning to help focus teams on building, highly secure software quickly. Enable teams to increase performance processes and data modeling in support of the planning and analysis efforts using both manual and automated tools. Provide technical guidance in software engineering techniques and automated support tools.
The Security DevOps Engineer objectives include: driving cultural change, encouraging collaboration between Development, Security and Operations. Automate IT processes, standardizing DevOps tool chain, collecting metrics across supporting DevOps projects and integrating toolsets to best support DevOps and continuous deployment. The Security DevOps Engineer must have a rich and diverse technical background and is creative and passionate about automation/DevOps and eager to learn emerging technologies and trends. The candidate should continuously works to implement development solutions that evolve Disaster Emergency Management operations.
The candidate will be responsible for building the DevOps toolset for a highly available and scalable system used by Emergency Management personnel worldwide. You’ll ensure that services and technologies planned in the ASPR Ready roadmap align to and support the organization’s product and application solutions priorities. You’ll coordinate and communicate with the Leidos Enterprise Application Foundry (LEAF) team to ensure platform and framework services enhancements needed by ASPR Ready are planned into the LEAF roadmap. You’ll engage with technology leaders from other Health and Human Services Groups and other Federal customers to ensure their technical requirements are understood and translated into the software development toolsets. You’ll direct research on and conduct spikes and prototypes of new technical solutions to reduce risk and evaluate capability. You’ll recommend solution strategies, technologies, and tools to address technical challenges in the Federal government space. You’ll mentor other software engineers and share your knowledge with the team and the organization to make us all better at what we do. You’ll always respect the opinions of others, accept constructive criticism, share your views with a passion for improving the entire team’s performance, and collaborate openly and positively with your teammates.
- Drive the development of Security and DevOps culture, process, pipeline and platform behaviors and implement Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and automation efforts.
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle, working within broadly defined parameters.
- Look for improvement opportunities for long-term DevOps practices and lead change to remove impediments.
- Serve as the SecDevOps engineer overseeing Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and automation efforts for a large, complex project.
- Communicate and coordinate with the LEAF team to ensure enhancements and bug fixes needed by ASPR Ready are planned into the LEAF roadmap.
- Ensure the ASPR Ready roadmap aligns to product priorities and maintains an upgrade schedule to keep all software products on a currently-supported baseline.
- Work closely with the product teams to develop the best technical designs and approaches for new product development.
- Lead and participate in DevOps driven team projects and continuously improve DevOps processes and procedures for best practices
- Ensure team adheres to Agile processes and software engineering best practices.
- Build solutions where the problem is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
- Develop solutions to complex technical issues and problems that impact multiple area or disciplines.
- Communicate with internal team members across multiple areas and coordinate completion of key deliverables across teams.
- Liaise with external and internal customer stakeholders on technical design decisions and trade-offs and ensure solutions will meet required functional, performance, and SLA thresholds.
- Evaluate build and deployment procedures to optimize, streamline and automate.
- Evaluate the selection and/or hiring of team members to ensure team has the right balance of skills and experience to implement the solution.
- Mentor other engineers in the art of building complex, web scale systems.
- Resolve roadblocks for the development team, working collaboratively with the Product Owner, technical leadership, and other engineers.
- Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics.
- Create and maintain DevOps technical documentation.
- Create custom reports to show automation usage and savings.
- Compose and communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Ability to obtain Public Trust Clearance.
- BS degree and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience delivering deployment automation systems spanning multiple technical areas.
- Hands-on experience with Terraform, Ansible, Helm, and Kubespray.
- Working experience with build systems (Jenkins, Bamboo or similar tools)
- Experience with deployment automation systems (Jenkins, Travis CI, or CircleCI)
- Working knowledge of Grafana Loki, Prometheus, Jaeger, and Grafana.
- Experience serving as a technical security DevOps engineer on large projects or processes.
- Experience working in the AWS GovCloud environment.
- Deep understanding of DevOps processes and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Agile Development and continuous integration and continuous delivery methodologies and tools.
- Good understanding of software development process fundamentals.
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new technologies, tools, frameworks, and techniques.
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Work in a fast-paced environment to meet all deadlines and use of lean development philosophy.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team.
- Maintain professional image and work environment.
- Organize, plan, prioritize and follow through on responsibilities.
- Strong Interpersonal communication skills—verbal and written.
- Hands-on experience with Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, Gradle, Nexus, and Keycloak
- Experience with one or more of: Harbor, JUnit, JMeter, Anchore, OpenSCAP, and SonarQube
- Familiarity with Atlassian SDLC management tools (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket)
- Basic web technologies (HTML, CSS, XML, REST, JSON)
- Communication Tools (Slack, Confluence or similar tools)
- Scripting languages (Bash, Shell, Ansible or similar tools)
- Cloud Technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Source Control Management Systems (Bitbucket, or GIT)
- Proven use of the full software development life cycle and dynamics of applications development
- Agile/Scrum processes and practice common design patterns
- Enterprise Service Bus Technologies (Kafka)
- Multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, LINUX, etc.)
- Relational Database Management Systems (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.)
- NoSql databases (MongoDB, etc.)
- Experience with service meshes such as Istio used to manage traffic between microservices.
- Experience with one or more of: EC2, S3, EKS, MSK, Transit Gateway, Internet Gateway, or Virtual Private Gateway.
- Familiar with Trend Micro - Deep Security, Conformity and Smart Check
- Use of good judgment, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Experience working with Leidos Enterprise Application Foundry (LEAF) a plus
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development
Pay Range:Pay Range $71,500.00 - $110,000.00 - $148,500.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.