Leidos is seeking a highly capable and senior Electrical Designer to join a team that’s executing multiple contracts and research activities to develop and field maritime sensors, payloads, and supporting infrastructure for next generation unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) systems. The qualified candidate will work with an intra-disciplinary team to define, design, integrate, test, and operate electrical components, electro-mechanical assemblies, and subsea systems used in maritime applications.
Key aspects of the senior Electrical Engineer position offers the applicant the opportunity to:
- Design, analyze, and document electrical power components and systems.
- Follow developed product designs through, build, test, and installation.
- Integrate design and process improvements to new and existing systems.
- Present design solutions to program leadership and external customers.
- Analyze, simulate, design, construct and test electronics for digital and analog circuitry in systems requiring custom signal processing, amplification, power management and conversion.
- Evaluate, select, specify, design, modify, test, and/or integrate sensors, cables, connectors, power subsystems (including batteries).
- Generate and maintain engineering drawings in support of manufacturing, review and create engineering change orders (ECOs), as required per ISO9001:2008 policies.
- Develop project test plans and test procedures, provide test planning support, and assist in the execution of both lab testing and at-sea testing.
- Conduct experimental tests on equipment, evaluate results, and develop specifications for deliverable systems.
- Contributes to customer development, test and production activities.
- Supports development of new and updating of existing system design standards to meet specific current and future requirements.
- Effectively document engineering development throughout product development lifecycle
- Up to 25% travel (Post-COVID Restrictions)
- Requires BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Demonstrated experience with Altium Designer or similar circuit design tools.
- Experience in Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) design including: analog, digital, mixed signal, or high voltage designs (> 1kV).
- Working knowledge of MATLAB, VISIO, and LTSpice software packages.
- Experienced in the operation of electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-meters, power supplies, function generators, insulation resistance testers, etc.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Project.
- 3+ years of experience with coding and debugging in C/C++, firmware development in VHDL/Verilog, familiarity with the Xilinx toolchain, or Python Scripting.
- Experience with designing, modeling, trouble shooting, and verifying stability of digital power control loops.
- Develop and execute test software and scripts on Linux/Windows environments.
- Active Secret Clearance or above.
- Experience with unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs) and associated electronics/sensors, underwater cables/connectors, control and monitor electronics, power systems, launch and recovery subsystems, and system-to-host interfaces, including acoustic ranging and communications.
- Experience with optics, optical telemetry and electro-optic components.
- Demonstrated knowledge with conversion topologies including Flyback, Buck, PFC, resonant converters, LLC and analog/digital controls loops.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.