The Guidance Navigation and Control Branch of the Leidos Innovation Center develops and deploys cutting-edge alternative positioning systems for customers who can’t rely on GPS alone, and we need your help in the Rocket City (Huntsville, AL)! This position offers both analytical and hands-on tasks, including development, simulation, analysis, and field testing of navigation algorithms. We perform research, development, and advanced prototyping for DARPA, NASA, the Air Force Research Laboratory, the Office of Naval Research, and the Army Combat Capabilities Development Command engineering centers. These customers need to get our advanced technology into the field! You’ll be a part of multiple small teams of engineers working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of advanced capabilities. You’ll get to go demo your work in the field in front of the customer! Are you excited about making advanced technologies work in the real world? Then we want you on our team!
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Develop and analyze algorithms for real-time GPS-denied navigation of robotic platforms
• Use multiple sensor fusion algorithms, including extended Kalman filters, unscented Kalman filters, particle filters, and factor graphs
• Fuse a variety of simulated and real-world sensor inputs, including inertial sensors, GPS, altimeters, cameras, lidar, odometers, and ranging radios
• Use computer vision techniques to extract navigation measurements from imagery, such as feature matching, SLAM, and visual odometry
• Navigate a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ships, and ground vehicles
• Work within a team of 3-5 engineers to integrate and test algorithms on demonstration hardware
• Travel with the team to demonstrate systems in real-world conditions; typically lasts 1-2 weeks and occurs 3-4 times a year.
This is you:
• Bachelor’s Degree in advanced technical field: electrical engineering, software engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent with at least 2 years of experience or 4 additional years of experience in lieu of degree
• Must be a US Citizen and be able obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
• 2+ years of relevant experience with one or more sensor fusion algorithms (extended Kalman filters, unscented Kalman filters, particle filters, or factor graphs)
• Programming & analysis experience in MATLAB
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Master’s or PhD Degree in one of the majors listed above
• Experience with one or more of the sensors listed above
• Experience deploying navigation algorithms to real-time applications
• Experience with computer vision techniques
• Experience with machine learning, particularly convolutional neural networks
• Experience with C++ and/or Python
• Experience with Linux
• Experience with version control tools, especially Git or Subversion
• Experience with autonomous system development through robotics competitions
• Active security clearance at Secret or above
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Signal Processing Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.