The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory is seeking a Geoscientist Intern as part of our Leidos Intern Program to join our Team. This is a unique opportunity to learn side-by-side with world-class scientists and engineers, contribute to new areas of basic and applied research, all while teleworking. Research for this internship will focus on NETL’s Offshore Unconventional Resources portfolio directed towards identification of potential subsurface hazards and the innovation/integration of computing methods to improve the prediction of subsurface properties.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Typical Responsibilities could include:
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team and RIC programs
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task related meetings
- Interpreting geologic/geophysical data
- Assisting with sub-surface data interpretation and analysis
- Working with geo-data scientists and subsurface modelers
- Data acquisition, exploring/finding data to integrate into the team’s research focus
- Candidates must currently be attending or enrolled in a university working towards a bachelor (senior), master, or doctorate degree in geology, geo-statistics, or geospatial science typically carrying at least a 2.8 cumulative GPA, with demonstrated leadership experience through community or campus activities
- Course work in GIS
- Ability to quickly comprehend processes, learn systems, and tools
- Curiosity for learning and a desire to succeed in a research environment
- Interest in my python coding/data manipulation
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment
- This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and systems. Work cannot begin on the contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen this check could take 6-12 months to complete.
- Experience in coding
- Familiarity with subsurface software like Petrel and Petra
- Familiarity with ArcGIS and other common GIS tools
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 39,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.