The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for an Industrial/Organizational Psychologist to support research studies and analyses to determine the biomedical response of humans to stressors identified in the special warfare, surface, undersea, diving, and submarine environments at the Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL) in Groton, CT. NSMRL conducts research and investigates the effects of medical, psychological, and performance issues associated with the health and performance of naval personnel in operational and non-operational settings.
He/She will be responsible for psychological research in the fields of screening/selection, predictive modeling, executive coaching, and industrial organizational psychology
The ideal candidate shall:
- Responsible for research in the areas of psychological and behavioral research, specifically in submariner screening and selection, identifying characteristics predictive of leadership success, as well as implementing executive coaching methods to develop junior Service Member’s leadership skills
- Support execution of approved work units/research projects by determining requirements, obtaining/developing and fabricating laboratory equipment and materials, developing documentation and coordinating approval of related Institutional Review Board documents, and managing resources necessary to meet project goals.
- Develop and evaluate appropriate methodologies, write standards of procedure to perform appropriate methodologies, and perform quality assurance checks to ensure that appropriate methodologies are followed consistently on approved studies and research projects.
- Support NSMRL staff and other professional entities on current and future human subjects research projects.
- Recruit and monitor experimental subjects, and arrange for necessary support staff and equipment to monitor experimental subjects.
- Perform tests, surveys, investigations, and/or experiments. Obtain raw data and assemble analytic data sets, and gather test/survey/experiment results.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative research data.
- Demonstrate expert working knowledge in the utilization of survey-based and/or behavioral research methods tools (e.g., neurobehavioral batteries, eye-tracking, mouse-tracking, EEG).
- Prepare summaries and publications for non-research technical and general audiences.
- Report finding, outcomes, and recommendations to the fleet through formal meetings, presentations, briefings, and publications.
- Coordinate approval of publication of technical information.
- Work is to be primarily performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday through Friday 0800 to 1630.
- Some offsite travel (~10%) may be required for data collection efforts, presentations, etc.
- Doctorate degree in a psychology field with at least 1 year post-graduate experience in a formal research setting.
- Experience in industrial organizational psychology, executive coaching, leadership development, and statistical modeling, including machine learning, will be given strong preference.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must demonstrate expert working knowledge in behavioral statistical software (e.g., LISREL, SPSS, MATLAB, R).
- Candidates must display a willingness to be exposed to a broad research and management experience in the human performance domain.
- Demonstrate the ability to extend and apply the knowledge of research to the missions of the NSMRL Command and the Navy.
- Ability to extend and apply the knowledge of behavioral research to the missions of the Navy
- Demonstrated evidence of scientific achievement as shown by the publication of articles and reports and membership in scientific societies
- Knowledge of and experience writing and editing technical and scientific research information
- Demonstrated ability to speak well and concisely and confer with professional colleagues on a peer basis.
- Knowledge of research examining human performance in a submarine environment is preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.