Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
About the Antarctic Support Contract:
Leidos Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) is the prime contractor to the National Science Foundation (NSF) in support of the United States Antarctic Program (USAP). Leidos supports the NSF’s Office of Polar Program’s Antarctic Infrastructure and Logistics by aligning with their Mission and Vision Statements:
- Vision: Expanding our scientific reach in Antarctica through increased operational and logistical effectiveness.
- Mission: To provide the operational and logistical platform necessary for the U.S. to conduct world-class science in Antarctica and maintain its active and influential presence on the continent.
Leidos ASC operates and maintains three geographically remote research stations: McMurdo Station, Palmer Station, and McMurdo Station and several large deep field sites across Antarctica. The Field sites are supported by fixed and rotary wing aircraft as well as ice traverses across east and west Antarctica. Each station or field site supports world-class research and the facilities are a critical part of this mission and supports over 1300 people living, working and performing research across Antarctica.
The McMurdo Assistant Area Manager is a critical part of the Leadership team reporting to the McMurdo Area Manager. This position is a full time year round position that deploys to McMurdo Station, Antarctica for the Austral Summer and manages on site activities there approximately October through February. While deployed, this position is the summer site manager for McMurdo responsible for day to day operations in support of science, projects, and sustaining operations, and works to resolve resource conflicts on station to focus efforts on highest priority activities. When not deployed, this position will work with the Area Manager to develop a long term vision for McMurdo, be an active participant in the McMurdo Performance Management Team, and help coordinate cross-functional collaboration and communication in the development of Annual Program Plans.
- Reports to the McMurdo Area Manager; can fill in as Acting Area Manager as needed
- Deploys to McMurdo station for the Austral Summer season in Antarctica, approximately from October 1 through February 15
- Ensures reporting responsibilities are met, including support to NSF representatives and ASC management; deployment and redeployment of science, NSF, and ASC personnel; and supports program sponsored special events.
- Works directly with Environmental Health and Safety department and Safety Manager to continuously improve safety culture on station and decrease injuries and property damage on station, ensuring a safe working environment for everyone. Works to continuously improve safety culture at McMurdo
- Ensures compliance with the Antarctic Treaty, the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty, the Antarctic Conservation Act, etc.
- Identifies and manages risk and opportunities for McMurdo
- Monitors projects and resolves work center disputes when there are resource conflicts
- Lead ASC representative while deployed to McMurdo: Interface with NSF Station Manager and NSF Representative as “face” of ASC; Support supervisors, managers and SMEs in communicating with station and stakeholders from all agencies; Work closely with Leidos HR on personnel issues that arise in McMurdo; oversee implementation of Leidos disciplinary action as the prime contractor
- Effectively communicates with the McMurdo Community to integrate and implement program priorities
- Lead ASC leadership meeting or other meetings to proactively discuss concerns, challenges, obstacles, resource conflicts spanning functional areas
- Communicate with ASC leadership with all partner companies as needed
- Be informed and engaged with behavioral and other personnel issues, in order to help correct or address these issues consistently within ASC; as necessary keep NSF informed of any incidents that may be crimes, any incident involving a safety risk, any incident involving non-ASC or other national program personnel, or any other incident for which this is appropriate
- Participate in Performance Management Teams and creation of Area Excellence Plans, Deep Dive, and other reports for ASC and NSF leadership
- Manage alcohol policy on station, in conjunction with Station Services leadership
- Interface with South Pole and Field Area Managers proactively and as needed
- ASC Emergency Management Emergency Operations (EOC) Lead for McMurdo, working with EOC Director and ASC Emergency Manager
- Manage population numbers and population flow for McMurdo Station
- Ensure adherence to McMurdo SOP’s
- Handles confidential matters in accordance with management policy.
- Supports a harassment free workplace for all personnel on station while upholding Leidos values
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years supporting or managing remote field operations
- Broad management and leadership experience, specifically leading remote teams and operations, and matrixed multi-skilled organizations
- Understanding of remote field operations including fixed and rotary wing aircraft
- Ability to execute independently in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work strategically and tactically
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- Detailed oriented
- Strong Microsoft Office suite skills
- Management of work site Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Must be a US Citizen or green card holder to meet contractual requirements
- Risk Management
- Utilization of Integrated Master Schedule
- Experience managing international or global programs, remote sites, and harsh work environments
- Antarctic, Arctic or remote cold region field safety experience is preferred
- Incident Command System (ICS) certified
- Incident Management (NIMS) certified
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment is required in this position at discretion of management (approximately 3-5 months per year during the Austral Summer). The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 39,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.