Leidos Defense Group Modeling Simulation & Training Division has several openings for Materials Scientists (all levels) for a new program in Huntsville, Al. This position will support a new program award in support of the US Army providing full life cycle M&S and Live / Virtual / Constructive Training engineering development and sustainment.
- Research and study the structures and chemical properties of various natural and synthetic or composite materials, including metals, alloys, rubber, ceramics, semiconductors, polymers, and glass.
- Determine ways to strengthen or combine materials or develop new materials with new or specific properties for use in a variety of products and applications.
- Responsible for analyzing and experimenting on organic and inorganic substances to determine and evaluate their chemical and physical properties.
- Conduct studies of inorganic and/or organic substances and preparing comprehensive documented observations, analyses and interpretations of results including technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of relevant experience or a Master’s degree with under 2 years of relevant experience. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- Active Secret level clearance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work independently, or with minimal direction
- Experience working with other specialists to collaborate on research and experimentation to find solutions to customer requirement
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as machining, injection molding, casting, thermoforming, sheet metal forming and/or 3D printing
- Basic understanding of overarching principles such as rate, quality, cost, flexibility, sustainability
- Knowledge of application of design for manufacturing principles including multi-step planning processes
- Experience in selecting materials for specific products and develop new ways to use existing materials, continuously designing improvements
- Experience writing proposals, preparing budgets and analyzing labor costs
- Previous experience tasking and supervising technologists and technicians
Knowledge of emerging technologies such as robotics, connected machines, and their implications on the future of manufacturin
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.