As a Software Engineer on our diverse and collaborative team, you will work alongside our expert Scientists and Engineers, contributing to cutting edge technology with global impact on security detection. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill software development – you’ll be honing your engineering skills with embedded products, real-time programming, and object oriented design, all with the support of a management team focused on your professional growth and advancement.
This position is responsible for developing applications for our distributed turn-key systems. Using your knowledge and experience with Object-Oriented C++ development , you will work under general supervision in a small team environment and your primary responsibility will be to modify, develop, and troubleshoot multi-tiered distributed applications and systems. The duties and responsibilities may change from time to time without notice and include but are not limited to the duties described below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable C++ code using good OOP/OOAD techniques for our systems.
- Optimize, identify bottlenecks, bugs, and devise solutions to problems including:
- Maintain code quality, revision control and organization
- Analyze customer issues and identify and implement solutions.
- Participate and contribute within a defined software development process.
- Occasional travel to customer sites may be required. Travel may domestic and international.
- BS, Computer Science and 0-2 years of directly relevant experience. 6+ months of practical software experience strongly preferred.
- Understanding of fundamental features of OOP/OOAD
- Good understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software design solutions.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- US Citizenship required
- Some proficiency in C++
- QT or other GUI experience
- Knowledge of multi-threading in C++ applications
- Languages such Python, Java, Shell scripting, etc.
- Knowledge of the standard libraries, STL containers, and algorithms
- Proficient understanding of code revision tools
- Familiarity with code analysis tools such as valgrind and gdb.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and network architecture
- Familiar with SQL (PostgreSQL and plus).
- Some understanding of requirements management
- Some understanding of software testing, and creation of test plans and procedures.
- Some understanding of multithreaded programming
- Some working knowledge of Linux operating systems.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Our St. Pete office is a fast-paced and collaborative environment, only a stone’s throw away from white sand beaches ranked #1 in US and Top 5 worldwide by TripAdvisor! We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, flexible work arrangments, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, exciting referral programs, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection and Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.