Leidos currently has an opening for a Design and Fabrication Technician to work with the US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command in Natick, MA fabricating airdrop and shelter components.
- Participate in design, development and fabrication of parachute and/or shelter components and assemblies: Ascertain characteristics to be designed into the items and contribute suggestions and design ideas for solving problems encountered during fabrication and development. Developing corrective actions for defects found. Search for available information and develop a design approach.
- Evaluate industry developments for possible application to military requirements. Make preliminary layouts, work out design details, and fabricate prototypes.
- Draw upon knowledge of construction techniques, production methods, materials availability, and design practice. Consider loads, tensile strengths, finishes, sizes, weights, and other design aspects. Confer with design draftsmen to explain design and fabrication details.
- Assist project officers by fabricating experimental and prototype parachutes and related airdrop items such as personnel parachutes (Troop type, emergency rescue and ejection seat), cargo delivery, as well as shelters, tents, covers and other soft wall structures
- Repair and/or modify airdrop and shelter fielded equipment by basting of new pieces of materials and making very fine and precise seams to attain strength equivalent to that in original assembly; remove stitches, damaged panels or lines, and sew in replacement parts.
Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and fabricate a final product efficiently
CAD and/or Solidworks sills
Excellent communication and problem solving skills
Strong attention to detail
Ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple actions at any given time
Excellent analytical and technical skills
Ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
HS Diploma and a min of 4 years of experience.
Fabricate and repair existing aerial delivery systems, harness and parachutes of all types and classifications.
Experience in parachute repairs and patches
Knowledge and experience of personal parachute systems and assembly both civilian & military
Ability to follow technical manual procedures
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Materials Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 39,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.