Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Senior Enterprise IT&C Radio Frequency Systems Engineer to support the United States Antarctic Program (USAP). The position is responsible for working with managers, engineers, technicians, and end-users to actively participate in all aspects of RF communication systems design, operation, sustainment, and decommissioning.
The Senior Enterprise IT&C Radio Frequency Systems Engineer is to establish and maintain familiarity with technical details of, and support requirements for all radio communication systems used throughout the USAP. Systems include HF, VHF, UHF, microwave, paging, field and infrastructure wireless links, L band satellite, and other RF equipment as assigned. The position’s nominal work location is in Centennial Colorado and supports numerous locations overseas. Operational locations include but are not limited to McMurdo, Amundsen-Scott South Pole, and Palmer stations, two marine research vessels, and logistics hubs in New Zealand and Chile. This position coordinates support of RF systems with IT&C Station Managers and their staff, members of the science community, engineering and technical staff in the ASC Centennial office, and affiliate organizations or subcontracted entities.
The Senior Enterprise IT&C Radio Frequency Systems Engineer is expected to deploy to Antarctica on an as needed basis, typically every other year for two months.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design RF systems to expand, modify, replace, and decommission RF equipment with the goal of modernizing systems, reducing maintenance costs, improving reliability, expanding capabilities, and applying best possible solutions to serve evolving mission needs.
- Establish, update, and validate adequacy of both new and existing RF equipment maintenance plans, procedures, and test equipment resources requirements.
- Support all RF communications system development, operation, and sustainment activities, including support to RF related projects and science efforts.
- Provide remote or onsite technical support for the execution of test plans to verify project performance requirements.
- Identify and recommend life-cycle procurements for investment prioritization.
- Document, validate, and manage system characteristics records as required to facilitate Spectrum Management.
- Maintain inventories of assigned equipment to include awareness of spares readiness posture.
- Develop seasonal technical plans as needed.
- Create acceptance inspection and Transition To Operations (TTO) plans.
- Perform or support execution of test plans according to acceptance criteria.
- Provide technical training, support, and guidance to station staff.
- Create formal system documentation and status reports.
- Accomplish administrative functions on an as needed basis to establish, coordinate, document, sustain, and curtail Iridium satellite communications services acquired through external entities.
- Serve as a continuity backup work performer for the Enterprise IT&C RF Technologist and Enterprise IT&C RF Supervisor when required.
- Maintain working relationships with IT&C Station Managers, their staff, and Centennial-based engineering teams to ensure radio communications success.
- Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years of prior relevant experience or a Master's Degree and 3+ years of prior relevant experience; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Professional writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to create formal documents such as reports, proposals, technical procedures, and system documentation for both non-technical and technical audiences.
- Experience designing, installing, and maintaining radio communication electronics to include HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave systems.
- Knowledge of System Requirements Specifications (SRS).
- Experience conducting trade studies; researching new technologies and industry trends.
- Experience researching and defending project proposals.
- Proficiency with nominal MS Office suite programs and Visio.
- Extensive knowledge of Land Mobile Radio (LMR) industry, manufacturers, and technology.
- Experience operating, maintaining, and installing radio communication electronics to include HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave.
- Experience operating, installing, maintaining, and administering LMR systems.
- Experience with link budget and area coverage predictive modeling.
- Experience with Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) analysis and mitigation.
- Antenna theory knowledge sufficient to define antennae selection, placement, and mounting requirements to achieve proper link margins and reliable area coverage.
- Experience working with remote technical teams and their leadership, within a structured but matrixed organizational hierarchy.
- Knowledge of and ability to support Spectrum Management processes.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
*** Deployment to Antarctica is required for this position. The individual in the position must successfully satisfy physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to deploy may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. ***
- Experience working with stakeholders to accomplish requirements derivation, requirements allocation, timeline analysis, cost estimation, and interface definition studies.
- Knowledge of Project Management processes and procedures.
- Experience with Iridium satellite communications systems administration, integration design, and technical support.
- Knowledge of cellular, WiFi, fiber, Telco, and wireless network technology.
- Experience with RF analysis and modeling software such as STK, TAP, etc.
- Knowledge of regulations governing aviation and marine RF systems.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.