The Leidos Civil Group is looking for an experienced Senior Science Writer with expertise in forensics, life, and physical sciences to support our Communications Support Services contract with the Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. This position will support OJP’s National Institute of Justice (NIJ).
The Senior Science Writer must be able to use plain language to describe scientific findings published in peer-reviewed academic journals. A successful candidate should be able to convey the methods and implications of the findings to executive-level leaders who may not have science backgrounds. The Senior Science Writer will work closely with NIJ subject matter experts, including federal and contract staff, to bring “real world” forensic science and technology to a wide audience ranging from policymakers to the general public.
Tasks will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Develop and propose story ideas that will inform the criminal justice field about the programs and initiatives overseen by NIJ.
- Generate readable, interesting, accurate, and concise articles of interest to NIJ's primary audience of policymakers and practitioners.
- Produce content for bi-weekly episodes of NIJ’s podcast.
- Work closely with NIJ staff to draft, review, and revise content.
- Interview subject matter experts.
- Draft articles and content for the NIJ website, as well as other NIJ publications.
- Identify opportunities to submit NIJ-authored articles for publication in external outlets (e.g., websites, journals, trade publications, newsletters).
- Attend staff meetings, workshops, and presentations.
As part of the Leidos team, you will work with an experienced group of communications professionals who are dedicated to supporting our government clients. If you are interested in working with experts in cutting edge forensic science and technology, have a desire to be part of an innovative and creative communications team, and want the opportunity to take on challenging and interesting writing projects, this job is for you. At Leidos, you will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
Please Note: Must be able to work onsite in Washington, DC (once temporary Pandemic related remote work is over or when asked to return to the office). May need to be in the office a few days a week.
The Senior Science Writer will be provided workspace at the government facility and will work onsite at least part-time as necessary to accomplish the assigned tasks. The National Institute of Justice is located at 810 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20531.
Travel: May include occasional travel.
Basic Qualification (Required):
- Eight (8) years of directly relevant work experience writing and editing publications and other documents.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and knowledge of style guidelines.
- Ability to translate complex materials into plain language.
- Ability to write about the implications of science for non-scientific professionals, practitioners, and policymakers.
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain Public Trust security clearance.
- Understand sophisticated scientific methods and the applications of science to law enforcement issues.
- Write about the implications of the science for professionals who work in law enforcement or elected officials who make policies that affect criminal justice.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, English desired.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.