Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
The Leidos Corporation was selected by the National Science Foundation (NSF) as the Prime Contractor for supporting U.S. research sites in Antarctica.
Leidos is looking to fill the Cost Estimator position, who will serve as a member of the Leidos, Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) assigned to the Projects, Planning, and Integration (PPI) - Engineering & Estimating team. The Cost Estimator will be engaged in the preparation of cost estimates and material take-offs for multi-year government projects in extreme winter environments for three (3) Antarctic stations including field camps. The mission support program is currently in the early stages of a planned 10 year upgrade program to transform one station, plus undertake planned projects to upgrade and sustain other existing stations, facilities, infrastructure and services at all locations of the program. The Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) program team is based in Centennial, Colorado and funded by the United States National Science Foundation (NSF).
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare conceptual and cost study estimates from preliminary sketches.
- Develop cost plans and estimates through the design phase, delivering updated cost plans at appropriate design milestones.
- Develop cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and assist the project team toward the answers.
- Prepare and review material take-offs from contract documents and drawings.
- Develop detailed cost estimates from drawings and specifications.
- Partner collaboratively with cross-functional teams (design engineering, construction, cost control functions, scheduling, finance, etc.) to understand requirements and ensure alignment to scope, schedule, and budget.
- Develop and maintain estimating databases and templates specific to each location.
- Provide reports to senior managers on estimate data, project cost progress and assumptions to ensure a clear and concise message is sent and understood.
- Support, develop and improve estimating processes and procedures.
- Perform all aspects of estimating, analysis, and verification of contractor costs.
- Prepare and review the material pricing and validate against other pricing references, acquire material quotes when possible.
- Accumulate, evaluate, and document historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
- Performs contingency and risk analysis.
- Ensure that cost auditing and valuation work is managed effectively and that a robust process for cost validation is in place.
- Compile as-built cost estimate records for benchmarking purposes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field or equivalent education and/or relevant experience.
- 8 years’ experience in performing cost estimates, reviewing contractor’s price and cost proposals for government engineering and construction projects.
- Experience with Construction Estimation Software.
- Must possess a clear understanding of the full construction life cycle.
- Proven capability to perform all forms and types of estimates from parametric to bottoms up and high level what-if scenarios.
- Possess and demonstrate a full range of understanding and appreciation for the estimating process and how it ties to the overall organizational goals.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills beyond estimating practice.
- Strong understanding of the impacts of time and location on construction costs and accurately incorporate those costs into any estimate provided.
- Capability to multi-task in a fast pace environment.
- Possess multidiscipline experience and understand and be able to estimate all facets of a construction project. Preferred discipline experience in Mechanical, Equipment, Piping, and Utilities.
- Ability to clearly set and lead meetings to review and discuss estimates or estimating activities.
- Ability to be highly confidential.
- Proficient with computers to include the utilization of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Preferred experience with Sage Estimating Software.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Manages stress and/or fast pace effectively.
- Excellent analytical, creative thinking, written and verbal communication skills.
- Deployment may be required in this position. The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Individual must be capable of operating a standard desktop computer; must be able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.