The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Sequencing Research Scientist to support biological research at the Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) within the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) in Frederick, MD. The BDRD within NMRC facilitates biological research for the rapid detection of infectious diseases of global importance and the enhancement of global disease surveillance for early pathogen detection and response.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Perform laboratory research projects including collection and organization of data.
- Perform whole genome sequencing of samples using MiSeq, NextSeq500, Ion Torrent, MinION, PacBio etc. platforms as appropriate given chemistry constraints and output desired, for bacteriophage and other (bacterial host, etc.) genomes.
- Manage all aspects of equipment preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Manage junior personnel in troubleshooting and developing next-generation sequencing protocols.
- Perform market research and sole source justifications for laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Develop improved protocols for wet lab processes associated with high throughput characterization.
- Develop automated pipelines for data analysis.
- Contribute high quality reference sequences to improve the comparator databases.
- Develop technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
- Present data at national and international conferences, symposia or meetings.
- Train US military personnel in sequencing protocols at national and international locations.
- Maintain clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks; record detailed observations about experiments.
- Maintain compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures.
- Provide quality control, trouble shooting and maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
- Maintain supplies in the laboratory and keeps the laboratory area clean.
- Work is to be performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday - Friday 0800 to 1630.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- PhD in a related discipline. Minimum Experience required: 5+ years directly related research experience
- Must have good communication and analytical skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Experience in a military medical research laboratory is a plus.
- Significant wet lab experience with infectious disease protocols is highly desired.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Life Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.