We are seeking a vital and experienced Senior Red Hat System Administrator located in Alexandria, VA. We are looking for talented individuals that are passionate about doing the kind of work that matters—that is, software and services being used across the country, and the world, for years to come. As a results-focused team, we offer flexible work schedules and locations, such as remote work.
Our project, the TENA Software Development Activity (SDA) (https://www.trmc.osd.mil and https://www.tena-sda.org) is sponsored by the
Test Resource Management Center (TRMC). TRMC is responsible for the DoD's (Dept. of Defense’s) major range and test facilities (video link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HSvDEbqjmCA) and must ensure that DoD test capabilities stay ahead of new technologies such as autonomous robot drones, directed energy weapons, hypersonic flight systems, and more.
For over 20 years, our software development team has been developing and supporting the high-performance middleware and applications that form the foundation for the large-scale, distributed, real-time, and embedded environments that are typical of DoD test and training environments—including live systems, simulations, and the combination of both. Furthermore, our team develops and maintains a suite of tools to support decentralized software development and provide collaboration, interoperability, and reuse of robust/secure software across the DoD's test and training environment.
In this role you will be responsible for leading the management of 80+ computers across multiple networks, including two separate collaboration websites that support thousands of users. The majority of the infrastructure computers use the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system, although our software development activities require software build machines for various Unix and Windows operating systems.
Our computing infrastructure supports various TENA development activities (~25 team members) using various programming languages, technologies, and computer platforms. The Senior System Administrator has overall responsibility for the proper functioning of this computing and networking infrastructure. In addition to the development activities, there is also responsibility for the performance and high availability of the website services that support the test and training community. There has been an increase in use of our website services, and we expect to expand support for external DevSecOps (software development, security, and operations). The Senior System Administrator will be instrumental in leading the evolution of the computing and networking infrastructure to keep pace with emerging needs.
- Install and configure operating systems and software packages according to DoD security guidance and best practices.
- Patch operating systems and keep software up to date.
- Use automation and manual inspection to monitor system and application logs for early detection of hardware issues, software configuration problems, or unauthorized activity.
- Manage hardware and host-based firewalls.
- Support team members with permission and access problems.
- Evaluate technologies and procedures to improve effectiveness of computer services for the team.
- Research available options, best practices, and other considerations to develop recommendations and implementation plans for specified objectives/problems relating to the system environment. Solutions will require out-of-the-box thinking and ability to modify/adjust planned implementation based in input from peers and project leadership.
- Responsible for maintaining proper operation of multiple websites and for developing targeted solutions to address performance issues, as well as propose a means to measure whether the performance gain was realized without the loss of stability.
- Substantial (8+ years) Red Hat Linux (or equivalent) system administration experience.
- BS degree in relevant field or additional years of experience/certifications in lieu of degree.
- Understanding of Apache, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, or similar software from an administration perspective.
- Requires US citizenship and the abliity to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2,000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Administration
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.