JOB DESCRIPTION: This position is located in the Southwest Asia Theater. The Dari Linguist reports to the Quality Assurance/Control Office and is responsible to provide document translations from Dari to English. The Interpreter is also responsible to provide interpretation to personnel on program from Dari to English as required. All translations and interpretations are for an aviation maintenance program, so the interpreter must have technical knowledge (vocabulary) in the aviation field.
• Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hardcopy formats that not only contain facts but also some abstract language showing an ability to capture intended implications and many nuances.
• Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text.
• Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field (s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successively in that field.
• Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation is needed, but on rare occasions simultaneous interpretation may be requested
• Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects.
• Reviews audio or internet materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
• Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
• Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects.
• Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
• Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced info.
• Master use of reference materials.
• Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
• Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings.
• Create/edit communications and presentations that are sent to program management, analyze and report the effectiveness and health of the program using metrics and key performance indicators.
Other / General Duties
• Establish and maintain program documentation such as local operating instructions, program and corporate policies.
• Edit and standardize documents written by others for content organization, style, voice, audience and consistency of format.
• Ensure servers and SharePoint is up to date with program documents and technical publications, such as Service Bulletins, Airworthiness Directives, Technical Assistance Requests and Maintenance Engineering Calls.
• Work to improve the archival, storage and documentation process.
• Must possess the ability to work independently, without technical guidance, to perform all Technical Publication Librarian functions.
NOTE: This position may require travel or permanent relocation to other program areas in Southwest Asia Theater as the mission dictates.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English
• 2+ years of experience deployed as a linguist supporting contingency operations
• Minimum required education is HS diploma or equivalent.
• Proficient with computer systems (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and SharePoint).
• Must be knowledgeable and conversant in aviation maintenance operations, safety and standardization/evaluation.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects and work independently and in teams.
• US Citizenship
• Understanding and acceptance of local customs and traditions.
• Ability to work with a multi-cultural team.
• Native English speaker or pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 70 or higher.
• Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages are highly desired
• Experience translating aviation documentation; i.e. Mi-17 helicopters (or other Mi-type helicopters) and/or PC-12 airplanes.
• Understanding of US DoD military aviation maintenance operations.
• Customer service experience.
• Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Aviation Tooling/fixtures experience.
• Experience with ISO9001/AS9100/AS9110.
• Military deployment experience in the CENTCOM region.
• Experience working in austere environments.
Program Specific Requirements:
Candidates must be able to obtain the following. Failure to complete any of these actions will result in rescinding of the offer.
• Active US passport with a minimum of 18 months before expiration prior to employment start date.
• Able to obtain a Visa within Southwest Asia Theater; i.e. UAE, Uzbekistan, prior to employment start date.
• Passing all CENTCOM medical and training requirements. If the candidate is unable to pass the medical screening after the start date an immediate termination will be requested.
• National Agency Check with Written Inquiries (NACI)
• A positively adjudicated Federal Government Investigation in order to qualify for a Common Access Card (CAC)
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2,000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.