Leidos is seeking to hire a Research Scientist to work in the Naval Hydrodynamics branch at our San Diego office.
As a thought leader in your field, you will apply your expertise and creativity to extract new scientific insights from state-of-the-art remote sensing data, and will leverage your scientific and engineering understanding to improve remote sensing data collection and processing techniques. Working with a team of scientists and engineers, you will contribute to new solutions for nationally important problems in defense.
This position is a long-term hire, best suited for an individual seeking to build an extended research career in our San Diego office.
These are your responsibilities:
• Develop new scientific insights for extracting subtle signals and features from large volumes of state-of-the-art remote sensing data
• Provide thought leadership to leverage new technologies to uncover new remote sensing opportunities
• Apply scientific and engineering expertise to understand and optimize around sensor, throughput, and signal processing limitations
• Contribute guidance in the development of signal processing algorithms, data analysis, and software implementations
This is what is required of you:
• B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent track record of research and publication
• 4+ years of work experience in applied research & development environments
• Demonstrated technical leadership in area of expertise
• Required on-site full-time work in San Diego, CA
• Current US citizenship with ability to obtain top secret clearance
These are the desired skills:
• Remote sensing, including radar, lidar, acoustics, imaging, and hyperspectral
• Environmental measurements; energy exchange and ocean/atmosphere dynamics; sensor and environmental effects modeling
• Physics-based and machine learning approaches to signal detection, false alarm rejection, environmental estimation, and feature classification
• Detection theory, noise estimation, physics-based algorithm design and development
• Software experience in C/C++, Python, or Matlab
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.