The Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for you, our next Sr. Mechanical Engineer to work in our Rancho Bernardo office in San Diego, CA. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to develop and produce advanced nuclear detection, radiography equipment, chemical and biological sensing instruments and satellite sensor systems. Emphasis is on research and development with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production. You will get to influence the initial design concepts and iterate on the designs all the way into production for Bomb Squad and EOD technician x-ray imaging devices, satellite based camera and communication systems, novel 3d printing devices capable of creating structures out of pure diamond, and many more projects on the cutting edge of science and technology. If you are well-rounded with a “do what needs to be done” attitude, you will excel in this environment.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
- Design, develop, integrate, and test all aspects of mechanical designs for Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, and Space sensor systems.
- Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product development, and test activities. Contribute to design reviews and present designs for review.
- Work independently and use judgement to perform engineering task with uncertain and evolving requirements.
- Use judgment to perform technical troubleshooting and diagnosis of failed equipment and support root cause analysis.
- Perform data analysis and write technical reports.
- Provide mentorship and supervision to junior staff.
This is you:
- BS in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related field from an accredited college/university with at least 8+ years of relevant experience as a mechanical engineer in an R&D environment. Master’s preferred.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Experience working with cross-functional R&D development teams.
- Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision and an entrepreneurial approach to roles and responsibilities.
- Able to build BOM’s and assembly work instructions.
- Experience with definition, setup, characterization and testing of complex systems, including design of experiments, reliability life tests, and root cause analysis.
- 0-15% travel to customer sites as required.
- Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload. Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with others. Good oral and written communication skills.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Experience leading small teams on projects or tasks.
- Experience with GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Experience in any of the following: Design, integration, optics and optical packaging, composites, materials, design for manufacturing, microfluidics, shock and vibration analysis, precision motion, MIL-810 testing, system engineering, technical project planning, heat transfer and thermodynamics, control systems, and/or biotechnology.
- Hold an active Secret Clearance or higher.
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.