Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defense, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
As a Systems Engineer in Leidos you will be immersed in one of our key programmes – transformation of the UK’s biometrics platform to cloud. On behalf of our central government customer you will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure. This role will require an SC clearance and the role will be split between remote working & being on-site in Farnborough, (with occasional business travel to Coventry)
- Demonstrable knowledge of systems engineering concepts and applying these concepts to software-intensive & cloud hosted systems
- Responsible for the delivery of high level designs, specifications, requirements traceability and working with all engineering disciplines in both definition and delivery of system wide changes.
- Responsible for managing and employing SE standard methods, MBSE models and artefacts, SE processes and tools to accomplish analysis, problem diagnosis and solution design, integration and test preparation, risk assessment and mitigation planning, and related activities
- Interfacing with domain architects to identify required activities, perform collaborative planning, review deliverables, and resolve SE issues.
- Working closely with the Associate Chief Engineers, Domain Architects, Software, Data, Test and DevOps Engineers, and Data Scientists
- Owning, impact assessing, updating documentation & overseeing development & release of changes to deployed applications & infrastructure
- Technical management and execution of engineering activities, requirements analysis, implementation planning, third party coordination, integration and test, sustainment, documentation, deployment, and system assessment
- Defining processes and solutions for technical platforms, system specifications, system designs, input/output and working parameters for infrastructure and/or software compatibility.
- Developing and maintaining systems engineering documentation and diagrams/models through use of traditional and MBSE tools
- Understanding and leveraging approaches to identify 1) Requirements that represent a gap in capabilities and 2) Opportunities for reuse.
- Serving as an Agile product owner within a system of products (creation of the product vision, to design and development, through testing and into ongoing support).
- Coordinating with enterprise stakeholders to prioritize product backlogs for sprints and releases.
- Evaluating early designs compared to requirements and oversee systems engineering efforts
- Applying strong baseline, configuration and release management
- Overseeing & contributing to the development of lower level designs corresponding to owned areas of the system (application or cloud platform)
- Applying & developing ITIL aspects including Service Management Roles & Processes
Common Core Expectations/Key Skills of all staff:
- Works and thinks in a team to deliver a common goal doing what is necessary to ensure mission success.
- Interface technologies and design.
- Experience of application architecture, software engineering approaches and languages.
- Experience of networking topologies, designs and equipment.
- Experience of storage and compute designs and implementations.
- Management of requirements and requirements traceability.
- Excellent documentation and articulation skills.
- Understanding of testing approaches, techniques methods and practices.
- Appreciation of security design, tools and their implementation of security within complex system.
- Ability to articulate complex system change patterns to enable the creation of project plans to deliver change.
- T-shaped people willing to step outside normal skillsets to support the team; self-starter, proactive learning as required.
- Can work in an agile culture in particular SecDevOps
- Everyone is expected to be able to work end to end in the lifecycle.
- Identifies potential roadblocks and develops around them
- Plans and estimates tasks/work to improve performance metrics (team improvement)
- Builds solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
- Common Technical Skills
- ITIL and Service based thinker
- Uses Jira and Confluence and updating progress frequently during the day
What do we do for you?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.