Leidos is seeking a charismatic individual with the desire to shape the future of transportation. We’re looking for a professional with experience in new transportation technologies, such as V2X, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV), and transportation communications, along with a desire to accelerate industry adoption. This individual will have the opportunity to pioneer codevelopment of these technologies with industry by leading outreach, support, and technology transfer.
Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where emerging technologies are developed to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts throughout the nation and internationally. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) technologies, Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA), modeling and simulation, open source software, data management, and cloud-based systems.
We’re a hands-on lab where you not only get to see quick results from your work, but help develop the solutions in an agile and supportive environment. We develop hardware, software, and solutions from concept to design, development, prototyping, testing, integration, and deployment. We are looking for an outgoing, motivated, and knowledgeable professional that sees the potential that comes from organizations working together and enjoys making it happen.
With over 30 different projects, this position provides the opportunity to own and lead a variety of projects and activities across the portfolio. A successful candidate completes deliverables on time and within budget, understands business, efficiently develops proposals, and works to develop staff, improve our team, and advance our reputation as the leader in new transportation technologies.
This position is located at FHWA’s Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA and next to all of the attractions of Washington, DC. This position may provide the opportunity to travel to meet with industry experts and partners, provide technical support, and participate or present at conferences.
This position provides diverse job functions, and may include, but not limited to:
- Oversee outreach, technology transfer, and technical support.
- Assess industry, organizations, and projects to develop prioritized strategy that accelerates industry adoption.
- Ability to build trust and persuade industry partners to participate and contribute to technology development.
- Leverage partners to solve technology obstacles identified by our software team.
- Partner management, maintaining support and ensuring their projects are developed according to protocols and quality necessary for incorporation.
- Project management.
- Staff management & development; supervising a team of approximately 10 engineers and outreach/communications professionals.
- Lead outreach and communications strategies that persuade and motivate organizations towards a common goal.
- Produce clear and concise communication and deliverables.
- Review, produce, and oversee project deliverables (reports, software, physical solutions, demonstrations, etc.).
- Write technical reports, proposals, and systems engineering documentation.
- Lead demonstrations, meetings, and webinars as Subject Matter Expert and/or STOL representative.
- Generate or pursue opportunities for business development and program growth, including cost estimates and proposal development.
- Manage, own, and develop programs, solutions, and new innovations.
- Client/customer management.
Required Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field with 10+ years relevant experience; or a Master’s degree with 8+ years project management experience; or a PhD with 6+ years project management experience.
- A working knowledge of ITS, V2V/V2I, and/or CAVs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check.
- Must be willing to work onsite on a full time basis.
- Self-motivated, has big picture and forward-looking vision, an ability to “see the connections,” desire to learn and grow, and ability to self-teach with minimal guidance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, along with the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues.
- A desire to improve, integrity, and ability to find solutions to obstacles to lead improvements that shape the future of transportation.
- Successful experience with U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, state, and local proposals, projects, operations and systems.
- Experience and understanding of transportation standards (e.g., SAE J2735, IEEE 1609, NTCIP 1202, etc.).
- Established industry relationships and positive reputation (ideally as an expert in the industry).
- Knowledge of traffic signal design, infrastructure construction, Next Gen ATMS (Advanced Traffic Management Systems), and/or traffic management center operations.
- OEM or transportation startup experience.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.