Leidos is seeking Scientific Review Officers (SRO) able to manage scientific peer review panels across multiple health specialty areas performing duties in support of scientific peer reviews. The SRO will lead panel teams through all phases of the review process. This role may serve multiple program areas depending upon relevant subject matter expertise.
- Manage all phases of the review process (panel recruitment, task compliance, quality control and scientific quality assurance, critique monitoring, budgetary requirements, and monitor deadlines) for the assigned programs/panels.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the contract Project Manager and customer for scientific issues and with respect to the review process related to the peer reviews managed.
- Identify, recruit, and assign competent, expert peer reviewers and consumer reviewers to research proposal review panels.
- Administer all aspects of panel review meetings including panel orientation, panel scoring and discussion, conflicts of interest, submission of revised critiques, panel debriefing, summary statement writing, and scientific quality control editing.
- Provide appropriate guidance and instruction to the peer review panel members regarding relevant review policies, guidelines, and criteria; critique preparation and submission of documents.
- Perform quality control review of written critiques to ensure their completeness, accuracy, and adherence to the recorded scores, editing documents as needed to clarify scientific language and remove unnecessary information.
- Monitor submission timeline and quality of draft critiques, providing appropriate feedback to reviewers.
- Create summary paragraph and provides budget information and administrative notes for summary statement.
- Contribute to the development of the annual SRO management plan for the scientific peer review of proposals, and provide revisions of the plan as required by the contract Project Manager and client.
- Provide reports to the Leidos Program Management team on assigned programs/panels.
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. with 5+ yrs experience after postdoctoral work.
- Biomedical sciences or military medical sciences background required
- Extensive Scientific Peer Review SRO experience required (multiple years)
- Candidates with extensive previous biomedical research experience are preferred.
- Experience managing scientific peer review panels for US Government departments, including the National Institutes of Health, US Army Medical Research and Development Command programs, and Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs
- Experience recruiting and leading peer-review panels with reviewing proposal topics in cancer, infectious diseases, military medicine, traumatic brain injury, combat casualty care, and other military relevant diseases and conditions is highly desired.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:Yes, 50%
Clearance Level Required:NACI
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.