This work supports the Tech Transfer and Research Partnerships group under the Research and Innovation Center (RIC) at the National Energy Technology Lab (NETL). NETL is part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory system and supports the mission to advance the energy security and economic competitiveness of the United States through a broad spectrum of energy and environmental R&D programs.
Externally funded projects reinforce and support NETL’s mission as the premier fossil energy and decarbonization research laboratory in the U.S. The Strategic Business Development Consultant position will support development and implementation of a proactive process to pursue business opportunities between NETL and external organizations. A successful strategic marketing effort will provide NETL with a needed capability to systematically plan for and successfully pursue business development opportunities that increase funding and enhance the Laboratory’s technical reputation. The business development consultant position will develop leveraged relationships that will broaden and extend the reach and effectiveness of the Lab’s mission
The Strategic Business Development Consultant will directly support the NETL staff to identify and plan for forthcoming external funding opportunities, position NETL to effectively pursue these opportunities and help NETL prioritize opportunities that compete for Laboratory resources. Under the direction of NETL staff, the Strategic Business Development Consultant may work with government organizations, companies, universities, other national laboratories, and organizations in the public sector to forge and implement a proactive and consistent leveraged partnered development effort consistent with the Research and Innovation Center’s mission and role within NETL.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Learn and then leverage an in-depth knowledge of Lab’s research capabilities, services, facilities, and communicate them through compelling value propositions.
- Research government organizations to gain anticipated funded opportunities and identify key points of contacts within these organizations and technology areas relevant to NETL’s work
- Research markets and then map the lab’s strengths and service offerings to potential partner/customer needs. For example, utilize NSF I-Corps and lean start-up processes to facilitate customer discovery identifying unfulfilled needs that may be facilitated by NETL resources, services, and capabilities. Follow industry trends and adjust plans as needed.
- Further refine and then gain adoption of a strategic business development practice to increase NETL’s leveraged reimbursable work opportunities, establishing clear actions and achievable timelines.
- Work with the Leidos Research Support Team (LRST) staff to create and then continually improve business development processes.
- Support Lab account managers to create, manage, and expand relationships within NETL, and then help retain relationships with new and existing partners and clients.
- Communicate effectively with internal teams (Leidos, NETL) and external partners and clients to effectively respond to opportunities.
- Support NETL researchers in prioritizing externally funded opportunities and develop proposal teams with external organizations.
- Self-motivate and motivate teams to develop growth plans to increase client and partner base.
- Contribute to the Lab’s entrepreneurial development activities such as serving as an industry mentor to NETL teams enrolled in Energy I-Corps programming, support brown bag presentations to LRST researchers
- Track and report weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual metrics, and respond to ad-hoc metric requests.
Other Responsibilities May Include:
- Search for, prepare, and distribute solicitation opportunity announcements.
- Administer routine correspondence, memoranda, and related documentation.
- Draft and then communicate a strategic commercialization plan and associated processes that will help identify NETL technologies ready for commercialization and potential licensing partners.
- Secure new technology licensing opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or related field and ten (15) years of professional experience in a technical corporate environment.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration.
- Proven experience in technical marketing, business development, and technology commercialization.
- Previous experience working with government organizations and laboratories preferred.
- Previous experience working in the energy industry highly desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as this position requires extensive interface with all levels of the federal client (NETL) and potential collaborative partners.
- Excellent organization and documentation skills, attention to detail, and ability to quickly respond to inquiries.
- Experience working to and exceeding targets.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, SharePoint, and PowerPoint.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Consult Emp
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.