Serves as the most senior Network Engineer is responsible for the planning, staffing, coordinating, directing and controlling both short and long-range projects. Responsibilities include the planning, analysis, design, development, testing, quality assurance, configuration, installation, implementation, integration, maintenance, and/or management of networked systems used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video formats used to support the mission of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to provide this service to the law enforcement community.
Serve as local area network (LAN)/wide area network (WAN) manager of a large and complex network for the FBI. Establish routing schema; identify and control all hardware and software configurations; develop technical standards and procedures; establish performance management metrics; develop contingency and recovery plans; coordinate actions that ensure the networks support mission requirements; and evaluate the overall LAN/WAN performance against relevant standards.
The candidate will have significant direct contact with the immediate customer and the organization’s IT staff. Work location is at the Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville Alabama. Occasional travel to CONUS customer data center sites may be required.
- Serve as a specialist, independently or as a team member, undertaking system design studies involving the development, modification, maintenance, and evaluation of Information Technology (IT) Systems.
- Perform studies to research, analyze, design, implement, and test IT systems for administrative, clerical, investigative, technical, and scientific areas within the FBI.
- Program, test, document, and implement system modifications and proposals.
- Assist end-users and customers in one or a variety of subject-matter fields in deciding which processes to automate; how to select equipment and software; how to use available technology; and whether and how to network.
- Work with the customers, OEMs, and contractor support personnel in designing, testing, configuring, implementing, diagnosing and solving network challenges.
- Assist with tasks associated with the design, implementation and support of data center networks.
- Provide network systems product support and maintenance in accordance with OEM standard practices and Government policies.
- Establishes engineering documentation, standard operating procedures, network drawings, and maintains documents on current configurations and methods.
- Design, execute, and report detailed Government network environment benchmarks and performance analyses. Uses tools to optimize performance.
- Provide installation, testing and maintenance of network hardware and software components.
- Create, implements and supports automated/orchestrated network solutions leveraging API’s via JSON, Python, Ruby, or comparable.
- Engineer, implement and maintain Software Defined Networking (SDN) controller architectures.
- Engineer, implement and maintain load balancer and firewall solutions and their integration with the network fabric.
- Engineer, implement and support Storage Area Networks using ISCSI, Fiber-Channel, or equivalent alternatives.
- Perform rack mounting of hardware using approved vendor installation techniques and mounting systems, power connectivity to rack PDUs, and burn-in of electronic systems. Perform connectivity of network hardware to pre-installed data center optical transport systems, link testing, and fault isolation of faulty links across transport.
- Work with end-users and customers to understand the work environment and to determine requirements.
- Provide recommendations to project leaders regarding system interrelationships; design subsystem information flows; develop processing logic; specify data to be extracted for performance tests; develop and plan for audit procedures; oversee implementation of programming specifications by monitoring program design, coding, and debugging performed within the FBI or by contractors.
- Excellent skill in applying networked systems management methods including end-to-end, systems performance monitoring; network architecture and topology (including transmissions protocols, switching, control, and management)
- Strong experience configuring hubs, switches, and routers and experience performing network diagnostics and network traffic pattern analysis
- Solid troubleshooting skills to Isolate sources of service problems; identify and implement required corrective actions; and, devise solutions to prevent future interruptions
- Serve as client manager with responsibility for working directly with customers to customize services to meet specific customer requirements. Explore ways to upgrade or enhance the level of services provided; implement changes in response to changes in customer requirements
- Provide expert technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management and other IT Specialists on networking issues
- Must be able to coordinate with contractor management and Government personnel to identify and resolve issues with clearly defined solutions that satisfy Government and customer requirements
- Ensure the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services to include implementation of component patches and configuration actions to address security issues.
- As required, prepare written reports on project work status regarding, the technical analysis and evaluation of recommendations necessary for administrative decisions
- Technical writing & documentation skills/drawings (MS Visio, Word, Excel)
- BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree
- Active Top Secret with ability to obtain SCI through a polygraph
- Experience planning and coordinating projects for the FBI that involves multiple stages in the system development life cycle
- Experience with integration of network devices and services in remote datacenters and enterprise networks
- Skilled in recommend hardware and software components in support of network architecture and configurations for future hardware growth
- Aptitude to assign and coordinate the work of multi-disciplinary teams in diagnosing sources of service interruptions and developing and implementing corrective actions
- Ability to manage the implementation of projects such as consolidating regional networks and redesigning network infrastructures in response to changes in network technologies or requirements
- Lead quick response teams in responding to network problems.
- Sound knowledge of project management principles, methods, and practices including developing plans and schedules, estimating resource requirements, defining milestones and deliverables, monitoring activities, and evaluating and reporting on accomplishments in order to manage assigned projects.
- Use of standard project management techniques to include AGILE and standard project management methodologies
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Shift:Standard Plus On Call
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.