The Homeland Security Solutions Operation within Leidos is looking for a Technical Writer to provide support on a mission-critical program supporting the Customs and Border Protection (CBP). The Senior Technical Writer will perform the full range of duties as necessary to support software development, Software Quality Assurance, and User Acceptance Testing of systems including developing/updating, analyzing, and maintaining project documents and deliverables in accordance with established guidelines and processes. The senior technical writer will may also be required to support developing standard operating procedures, business process documentation, general project documentation, intranet content, user guides, training materials, and other internal content. Candidate must be a collaborative team player who can evaluate, recommend, plan and execute technical content.
- Provide drafting, review, and presentation of technical and administrative topics for a federal government program.
- Develop and edit documentation for systems development programs.
- Experience developing and updating templates.
- Develop basic graphics and utilize desktop publishing tools to demonstrate technical systems.
- Maintain documentation and version control in a shared repository such as SharePoint.
- Support reviews and editing for grammar, content and style of writing.
- Engage with Subject Matter Experts to develop and review program documentation.
- Work with Business Analysts to document IT processes
- Report on progress of work products and deliverables
- Adhere to CBP and Leidos style guides and templates
- Assess, analyze, write, edit and manage end-user training and documentation for technology implementations and updates
- Analyze documents to maintain continuity of style of content
- Develop and cultivate positive working relationships with team members, engineers, project managers and support staff
- US Citizenship.
- Eligibility to obtain DHS Suitability (required to start work).
- Bachelor's degree is required - studies in a related discipline desired.
- Minimum of 4 years of related experience supporting technical writing for a technical program.
- Experience supporting technical writing for systems/software development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience with Visio.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and adhere to competing deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex information and provide procedures in clear and concise manner to users with all different levels of technical experience
- Ability to research technical subject matter, organize information from multiple sources, and express technical information in written form
- Skilled at developing document templates to ensure ease of use and functional capability
- Skilled at prioritization and multi-tasking
- Quickly adapt to change and revise documents accordingly
- Current DHS Suitability or CBP Background Investigation is highly desired.
- Familiarity with Department of Homeland Security terminology
- Acquainted with 508 compliance
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.