The Leidos Innovation Center has an opening for an analyst with expertise in modeling, simulation and data analysis related to optical tracking and imaging of orbital objects. This position supports optical research and development projects at the Air Force Research Laboratory Starfire Optical Range, Kirtland AFB, NM. for applications including optical communications and high resolution imaging and tracking of space objects. Projects primarily involve research and field experiments on optical propagation through turbulence, including optical imaging of both astronomical and orbital space objects. Field experiments are concentrated upon the use of large-aperture astronomical telescopes and large-scale adaptive optical systems for real-time atmospheric compensation. Experiments are concentrated upon the use of large-aperture astronomical-type optical telescopes and large-scale adaptive optical systems for real-time atmospheric compensation and high-accuracy tracking. Specific tasks include modeling and simulation of satellite tracking and imaging experiments and the development and modification of modeling and simulation tools.
• Design, implement, and maintain software for modeling, simulation, and analysis of experiments using large astronomical telescopes for applications including astronomical observations, satellite tracking and characterization, and laser communications at the AFRL Starfire Optical Range
• Perform modeling and simulation of tracking, imaging, and other experiments
• Analyze results of simulations compared to experiment data
• Document results
• Communicate directly with customers, engineers, and other scientists
• Work independently under direction of the Leidos program manager
• MS in engineering, mathematics, or physics with at least 20 years’ experience
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
• Experience in modeling and simulation of experiments using optical telescopes for tracking and imaging of orbital objects
• Experience with development and programing of modeling and simulation tools using FORTRAN
• Experience in analysis and assessment of satellite tracking data
• Ability to translate derived or evolved algorithms into operational software
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including ability to prepare and present reports and briefings on experiment results.
• Ability to work in a mixed AF/contractor team environment, interfacing directly with government analysts and experiment directors.
• Experience with use of TASAT modeling tool
• Experience with scripting languages (Mathematica, Matlab, etc)
• Experience with adaptive optical systems
• Experience with astronomical or satellite tracking tools and methods
• Experience with AFRL large telescope systems at either Starfire or Maui locations
• Top Secret security clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:20
Job Family:Research Scientist
Pay Range:Pay Range $110,500.00 - $170,000.00 - $229,500.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.