Leidos is seeking a Marine Engineer or Marine-focused Mechanical Engineer in order to participate in the design and development of innovative small maritime craft and subsystems.
- BS Degree in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, or similar discipline, with 12+ yrs related Marine Engineering experience. (additional experience or training will be considered in lieu)
- Secret DoD Security Clearance with ability to obtain Top Secret.
- Candidate should have experience with marine applications, capable of being responsible for the design of a wide variety of new marine structures, modification of existing craft and components, and integration with existing systems employed in the marine environment. Should be skilled in concept development, analysis, design, fabrication, and testing of small maritime craft and subsystems. Ability to excel in small Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment, performing rapid R&D and prototyping activities.
- Should be adept at multidiscipline trades, with consideration of Naval Architecture, hydrodynamics, mechanical engineering/structures, materials, heat transfer, and industry standard design practices.
- Static and Dynamic structural analysis, to include both classical and Finite Element Analysis (FEA). Familiar with SolidWorks 3D-CAD with emphasis SolidWorks Enterprise PDM program.
- Working knowledge of boatbuilding standards such as American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Rules & Guides for Naval Ships, International Code of Safety for High Speed Craft, and MIL-STD requirements.
- Extensive knowledge of common small maritime construction materials; e.g., composites, aluminum, stainless steel, adhesives. Composite tooling and fabrication techniques, aluminum fixturing and welding processes. Ability to design, analyze and document components and systems, follow developed designs through build, test and installation, and integrate design and process improvements to both new and existing systems.
- Must have excellent computer skills, with experience using Windows and LINUX/UNIX (more end user).
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced Degree in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Professional Engineer License in Naval Architecture & Marine or Mechanical Engineering.
- Aptitude in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) for incompressible fluids; LES, RANS.
- In-depth knowledge of small maritime propulsion, electrical, hydraulic, and auxiliary systems.
- Small craft operational experience.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.