Leidos’ Military and Veterans Solutions group has an opening for an Operational Research Coordinator at the Naval Health Research Center in San Diego, CA. Under general supervision, the incumbent will perform laboratory and/or field experimental work, undertake research projects in collaboration with lead scientists, and make contributions pertaining to procedures in the laboratory and/or field.
The primary responsibility for the Operational Research Coordinator is to aid in the conduct of studies that focus on physiology and performance. The incumbent will assist with testing data capture systems focused on the early detection and management of operational hazards in shipboard environments. This research will inform the development of a comprehensive crew endurance management system to manage fatigue, insufficient sleep, and other operational stressors for Fleet Sailors and embarked Marines.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaison with operational leaders to coordinate research activities (e.g., recruitment, enrollment, data collections, etc.)
- Interact with research participants to recruit, conduct informed consent, and collect physiological, cognitive, and health data, both in-port and underway in austere warship environments.
- Assist with the planning, organization, and execution of research activities.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment (e.g., fieldable devices to include wearable biosensor devices, research laptops, and IT systems).
- Have a background in technical/scientific writing to assist with generation of standard operating procedures, protocols, scientific reports, and academic manuscripts.
- Collect, input, organize, and manage data from all laboratory testing instruments.
- Follow all established standing operating procedures and human subjects research protection regulations.
- Effectively and efficiently respond to urgent inquiries and requests.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Work overnights, on weekends, and holidays as needed for research project execution.
- Travel domestically and internationally as required for project, program, and contract needs.
- Model Leidos Mission, Vision, and Values at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, physiology, exercise science, psychology, or a related scientific field from an accredited college or university.
- Four or more years of prior military experience is required. The ideal candidate will have sea service time or other operational deployment experience.
- Understand usage and maintenance of equipment necessary to obtain and analyze data. Strength in troubleshooting and testing new equipment is desired.
- Strong technical ability to work with new wearable and non-wearable biosensor technologies and software applications.
- Ability to interact positively and in a professional manner within a research environment. Proven ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials.
- Excellent critical thinking with problem-solving skills and an ability to work cooperatively in a team setting. Flexibility in responding to changing demands, timelines, and priorities.
- Ability to work non-regular hours (e.g., nights and weekends) as needed for data collection. Ability to travel as needed; will require semi-routine travel underway aboard a Navy ship.
- Strong computer skills and experience with software such as MS Excel, Word, and other programs for the PC; able to operate and troubleshoot, as necessary, laboratory machinery that is computer controlled.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and work in a military operational environment.
- Must be willing to travel for up a few weeks at a time, (period of time dependent on research mission requirements).
- Must be medically cleared to travel underway on a Navy ship (have no pre-existing conditions that prohibit travel).
- US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET government security clearance.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Background in research methodology is preferred.
- Strong background in data processing using software programs such as Microsoft Excel, SPSS, R, or other programs.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.