Innovate and create at Leidos! We have no shortage of challenging technical and research problems. Join the Leidos team and apply your talents to solve them.
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory is seeking an Organic Chemist to join our multidisciplinary team in Pittsburgh, PA. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Typical Responsibilities could include:
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Predicting and characterizing organic reaction products for unconventional reservoirs for hydraulic fracturing, enhanced oil recovery, CO2 storage, and enhanced CO2 storage that may accelerate and promote fluid-rock reactivity under reservoir stimulation conditions.
- Engaging with research teams to address, what geochemical reactions affect flow pathways, the viability of CO2 as an enhanced recovery agent for unconventional oil with and without surfactants and studying organic matter heterogeneity in shale through multiple basins.
- Capability in of predicting and characterizing organic reaction products and catalysts using NMR, IR spectroscopy, and chromatography.
- Appling chromatography and NMR techniques to analyze oil composition extracted from unconventional shale cores.
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing results in relation to experimental data from simulated and/or experimental tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
Required Education & Experience:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with a course work in applied mathematics, or similar field.
- Experience in applying the discipline of organic chemistry to geosciences.
- Excellent communication skills combined with drive and enthusiasm to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- 1 year in a laboratory setting preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.